Erboy hotel

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

travelbug

Erboy hotel

Post by travelbug » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:26 am

Has anyone stayed at the Erboy Hotel in Istanbul? Any comments?

June

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Erboy hotel

Post by margaretp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Will let you know after our stay there in May, if that's any use!! If your trip is earlier, perhaps you would post your review for our benefit. Just looks like an OK base.
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:37 am

Margaret,

We will also be there in May. We arrive May 23rd to Istanbul and have 3 weeks to travel. When will you be there and how long do you have?

June

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Will just miss you! we are there for two nights, 19th - 21st. It's our 2nd stay in Istanbul, but we have also used it on other occasions to transit between UK and our house near Fethiye. Intend to try and see some of the sights we missed last time round and also to catch up with Turkish friends who live there. Picked the Erboy, mainly for its position near a couple of museums and a Bospherus cruise that we had no time for before!! We will pick up a hire car at Ataturk airport as we leave Istanbul and drive via Gelibolu and Troy down the west coast towards Fethiye (lots of previous posts re our plans! I do a lot of idea picking from the knowledgable members of this forum!! Thanks again guys)
MPD

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:02 pm

So June, you start out in Istanbul, then on to Goreme, where next? I'm glad for you that you have found this site, there is loads of good advice contained here. You will be sure to fall in love with Turkey and its people. Do let us all know your ideas and if you are still at the planning stage there is plenty of excellent input available.
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:17 am

Margaret - We have 3 weeks. Below is a rough itinerary for our trip, subject to change along the way. Please feel free to let us know if we are being too ambitious, if there are places to avoid, places we've neglected to include or ways to make this an easier journey. We have alot that we want to see and I realize probably not enough time. We can't wait to get there. Thanks for any advice! - June

May 23rd Istanbul – arrive late afternoon, orientation & dinner
May 24- 25 Istanbul
May 26 Istanbul – 10 pm overnight train to Ankara
May 27 Ankara –8 AM, museum/mausoleum- car at 1pm – to Goreme 18:30
May 28-29 Cappadocia
May 30 Cappadocia – late afternoon to Aksaray Caravansary then Konya.
May 31 Konya - mevlana museum-seldjoukids monuments, – drive to Anatalya –June 1 -2 Antalaya - ancient city - excursion to Perge, Side & Aspendos
June 3 Antalya to Cirali - excursions to Termessos, Kerain Caves & Phaselis
June 4 Cirali, - village - beach, Olympos to Chimaera
June 5 Fetheya –village of Kayakoy- ghost town- Lycian trail - Oludenez Beach
June 6 Possibly 12 Island Gullet Tour
June 7 Hierapolis to Pamakkule
June 8 ½ Day at Aphrodisias –evening in Selcuk
June 9 Selcuk –Ephesus, beach in late afternoon.
June 10 Selcuk – drive to mountain village of Sirinci, back to Selcuk for day at beach (stay in Sirinci instead of Selcuk?)
June 11 Selcuk – Visit ruins at Priene, Didyma and Miletus
June 12 Leave – to Sardis, see Pergamon (Bergama) –overnight in Assos
June 13 Assos (Behramkale) –then Troy & Galippoli & ferry over Dardanellas - overnight along the way to Istanbul
June 14 Leisurely drive to Istanbul -- Airport by 2:00 pm 4:00 flight to Milan

flitcraft

Post by flitcraft » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:53 am

Wow, your itinerary is almost exactly what we did two years ago, except in reverse order. The main differences is that we didn't do a gulet cruise, we spent a bit more time along the Turquoise coast, and we skipped Troy/Gallipoli in favor of a bit more time in Istanbul. But, based on our experience--it's completely doable and you'll have a terrific time. Looking forward to your trip report...

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:15 pm

June 12 is going to be a long day - it's about 460km from Selçuk to Assos via Sardis, that's probably more than 6 hours driving.
I would skip Sardis (because you really ought to see the Bin Tepe as well while you're there) - Pergamon is so much better - you could give it more time (you'll probably need 2.5 hours to visit both the Acropolis and the Asclepeion, etc).

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Good itinerary, you have chosen well. There will always be places that you are not able to fit into your programme, but with the time available you have covered the major sights. Only extra places I would mention along the Lycian coast are Patara and Kekova. I don't see quite where they would fit in, but if you have a spare hour or two I would rather sit on Patara beach than Olueniz!!. The boat trip is well worth while, and a nice relaxing day at sea, after many days on the road!

We have always taken a list of hotel possibilities for our various overnights while touring from other posters' experiences and have always managed to find rooms available. As some of your days are full, I would advise very early starts, but most of your routes are on good roads (compared to UK!! I'm not able to compare to Florida!!) so are doable. Weather in May/June is wonderful, but can suddenly turn very hot so air con is important (both car and rooms).

We may bump into you in Fethiye! we do have a museum, ancient theatre and rock tombs worth visiting. Look forward to seeing your report.
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies. My husband keeps telling me we have too much in the itinerary and it is undo-able. I'm feeling much more re-assured now.

On June 13, if we drive from Selcuk to Assos & then to Pergamon, skipping Sardis - is the car ride the same? I don't have a good map yet. Do you have to drive through Sardis anyway? I will likely take the advise given here - skipping time at Sardis as I really want to see Pergamon. How much time do you think we will need to see Assos?

We were wavering about taking the Gullet trip as we didn't know if there was time, but I think we'll try the day trip since you say it is so relaxing after so many days on the road.

We normally take a list of potential hotels and we also look on the internet the night before we expect to arrive in a place to arrange something in advance if we know where our destination is.

I know I'm short-changing Istanbul, but figure it will be easier to get back there than some of the other areas. We are already figuring that we'll need another trip back to Turkey! Ain't life wonderful! - June