Erboy hotel

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Erboy hotel

Post by margaretp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:14 pm

In case you haven't seen this thread look at these websites, we will hopefully get booked into one of these:

I've discovered there are a couple of pensions on Lake Bafa:
http://agora.pansiyon.de/engl/engl_agora.html
http://www.latmosherakleia.com/eng/pension.htm
Worth knowing, I thought. Nice place to relax or hike.David Morgan
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 am

Since you have all been so helpful, let me ask another question - is it safe to drive at night? I've read that one should not drive at night in Turkey, but should we really take that to heart and avoid it altogether? It restricts staying at a sight late, having to return before nightfall. Opinions please?

DMS

Post by DMS » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:34 am

We've stayed at the Erboy several times, the last time being May 2007. Staff very friendly, breakfast is great. Rooms are very clean but a bit on the small side, however you're not there to stay in the room all the time. Rooms at the front of the hotel are brighter than the ones at the back. Location is one of the reasons we like staying here. It's an easy walk to all the major sights ie. Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, etc. At the back of the hotel is a nice little walkway - about a block down is a great little cafe called the Et-it. Good food and nice people. Will definitely stay at the Erboy again.

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:10 am

DMS - thanks for the response. We will certainly add our opinions after staying there!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:27 am

Re: driving at night. I've done it a few times, you just have to be very careful. You'll get flashed by oncoming drivers for no reason, and at dusk there are a lot of vehicles without lights on (not just the tractor-loads of people returning from the fields), and watch out for vehicles parked on the road. So don't rush to get to your hotel.
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/tran ... abits.html

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi again - One more question - I was wondering if we would be better off to skip the time in the Pamukkale area so that our trip will not be so rushed. Would we be better off having more time to leisurely head back to Istanbul and see Assos and Pergamon instead? I have heard mixed reviews on Pamukkale and I wonder how Pamukkale and Aphrodisias compare to Pergamon and Assos.

Thanks again for your help - June

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:24 am

Forget the mixed reviews, see Pamukkale, it's unique.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Would agree with David, Pamakkale is unique. You are never going to fit everything in and it sounds like you already are thinking of trip number 2!! but if I had to chose one or the other, then Pamakkale would win. We have been coming to Turkey twice a year for seven years now and my personal highlights have to be Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus and Pamakkale. That said , we are still making wonderful discoveries and I have trips mapped out for at least another five years!!
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Margaret,
I would love to hear more about your trips that you have been on and the ones you have mapped out. We have been to Greece twice and have at least one more planned. I'm already anticipating needing lots more time in Turkey, which after all my reading, sounds at least or even more interesting than Greece. There is so much to explore in this world, so many places to go! Thanks for your advice and to David as well. - June

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:54 pm

I am a converted ex Greek tourist. What I have found so amazing in Turkey is the undeveloped nature of most of the historic sites. The most commercial ruin is obviously Ephesus, but most of the others we have visited we have often been ALONE. The sites that are only being excavated now are amazing. Their positions are usually stunning. One word of advice though, don't try and tell the locals that you love their Greek ruins!! Hellanistic is the word!! but then that phase is only a small timeframe of the vast range of sites to visit, everything from 10K BC up to Ottoman. Even that doesn't include the cave findings that have come up recently on this site.

I know you will really enjoy your trip, I can't possibly bore you with our past and future trips, but I'm just a beginner compared to some of the other adventurers who post on this website. Keep looking on this forum while you're in Turkey and we might possibly arrange to meet up (lots of the hotels will have guest internet access). I do access my emails while we're away.
MPD