Anadolu Hotel - anyone know anything?

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Anadolu Hotel - anyone know anything?

Post by steve » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about http://www.anadoluhotel.com? I'm thinking of a weekend in Istanbul soon, can't really stay any longer but I am missing the place. Thing is I'm finding the pricing of hotels rather high and the strong Euro is exaggerating costs further for us Brits. Nevertheless, most of the good value places are already fully booked. I've chanced upon the Anadolu Hotel but have never heard of it before and can't find a single review. I love the Nomade Hotel but I just can't justify 100Euro a night. Anadolu seems to be very close by and about half the price, but I've been caught out by cheap Istanbul hotels before so I was wondering if anyone had any further info about this place?

sweethelen

Re: Anadolu Hotel - anyone know anything?

Post by sweethelen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

I haven't heard anything about Anadolu Hotel. But among other hotels in the same area (Sultanahmet) there are some good and inexpensive hotels such as Erbil Hotel (ex. Asur Hotel), Sunlight Hotel. These ones of the cheapest and best hotels in Sultanahmet. Of course, theer are more hotels with the same rates but I recommend these ones. Besides, they have vacancies.

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Anadolu Hotel - anyone know anything?

Post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 3:17 pm

I thought I'd tidy this one off for future reference. Thanks to sweethelen, but I chose to ignore the links posted. I am sure they are lovely hotels and the best hotels in the world, but I tend to avoid commercial links from members with few posts 'cos I'm a miserable cynical old git.

I stayed at Anadolu for a few days and it's pretty good. Very cheap and the rooms are better than I expected. Bit of a leaky pipe in the bathroom and the décor throughout is dated and cheap. However, it’s cleaner than a lot of places that I’ve stayed in and paid more for – very clean in fact. Seemed to be a lot of Nordic tour groups there and some Aussie backpackers so consequently dinner time is busy. They cook pretty good scoff though – all fresh and traditional and very very good value. Fine to eat after the crowds have gone (usually only about 2030 which is perfect for me). Bit like being in someone’s front room and I kind of liked it. I would never usually eat at a hotel in Istanbul but for one evening this is satisfying and cheap option.

Here are the main points I think most will want to know (let me know if I’ve missed anything):
Breakfast is standard and basic. You’ll eat at a clean table but don’t be surprised to see the odd cigarette burn in the freshly-pressed tablecloths. You get the idea – it’s a cheap gaff, but not a shit-bin.
There are no free PCs but there is free wi-fi and there’s a rather good internet café seconds up the road if you’re travelling without a laptop.
Rooms are airconditioned and the units are recent and work well.
Location is good just off Yerebetan and views of Haiga Sofia and the Golden Horn were a surprising bonus. You can walk there from Sultanahmet tram stop in about five minutes.
Some of the older staff don’t speak great English, but don’t confuse this as unfriendliness. They speak enough to get by and if you do know a bit of Turkish or are able to crack a smile then you’ll find them more approachable than you thought.

It’s a budget place and I was dreading it. However I was pleasantly surprised and would stay there again – it particularly suits single travellers. I stayed here to save money and splashed the difference on a couple of posh evenings and the odd taxi back from Taksim. Sorted!