Haggling for Hotel Prices. Any Advice?

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

richardnfox

Haggling for Hotel Prices. Any Advice?

Post by richardnfox » Sat May 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I have been told that you should haggle for hotel prices. Even in the USA, "Rack Prices", the set prices given on hotel websites, are considered flexible. Does anyone have any advice on how to accomplish this before your arrival? Do I e-mail them or call them on the phone? Or should I just wait to book when I arrive and haggle then? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard
First-Time Turkey Traveler

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Haggling for Hotel Prices. Any Advice?

Post by davcamp » Sun May 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Suggest to arrive at hotel and haggle..but make sure it is worth the effort. Dont haggle for just 5 euros...
If you can...find a Turkish person to do it for you. Have him go into hotel while you wait outside. After a price is agreed go check in.
davcamp

sweethelen

Post by sweethelen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:58 pm

If you book on-line you can haggle before you your reservation is made, but after that you made a reservation and paid, that is it, haggling is not appropriate.

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by davcamp » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Not appropriate because when you book online that means the price has already been agreed upon.
davcamp

flitcraft

Post by flitcraft » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm

The best time for haggling is before you've agreed and made a reservation. However, It seems that travel and tourism is soft now, with the economy the way it is. I booked a very popular hotel in Verona Italy some weeks ago--not only did they still have vacancies in June, the height of tourist season, but when I asked if they could offer a cheaper rate than their internet site listed, they knocked 20 euros a night off the price. Also, when I emailed a hotel in Poland to cancel my reservation since I'd found a much cheaper option, the hotel counter-offered with an additional discount (so I ended up keeping the original reservation.) I would be surprised if Turkey were immune to similar issues.

My advice is to contact the hotel directly (rather than through a reservation service), ask for their cheapest rate, and, if you have a rate from a comparable hotel, ask if they can match the rate. Worst case scenario, you won't get a discount. But you won't know unless you ask.