Please help with hotel choice

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

renetjie

Please help with hotel choice

Post by renetjie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:14 pm

I have been weighing up the pros and cons of 2 hotels in Istanbul for October.
1) Grand Peninsula and
2) Hotel Erboy.
Both are more or less the same price. The Erboy gives free airport transfer whilst the GP charges 15 euros. The Erboy also gives a free dinner on the 1st night.
I think that the Grand Pen. has newer more modern rooms and is a small boutique hotel whereas the Erboy is part of the Sirceki Group of hotels.
I dont know whether the GP being in Sulthanamet is a better area than the Erboy being in Sirkeci. I need help in swaying me one way or the other as I cannot decide. :roll:

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Please help with hotel choice

Post by davcamp » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello, From Sultanahmet to Sirkeci is just a very short distance....about 5 min. on the tram.
I wouldn't fret over "more modern" facility unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel - which is not what travelers to Istanbul do.
You will likely get out early in the mornings and get in late just to sleep, etc.
davcamp
http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... anbul.html

renetjie

Post by renetjie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you for posting your other sites - I will look at them - but what is the answer to my question:
ERBOY or GRND PENINSULA?

kfriebel

Post by kfriebel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:57 am

We stayed for 6 nights at the Grand Peninsula both at the beginning and end of our trip through Turkey in June 2010. We were very pleased. The rooms were good sized by Turkish standards and very new, with comfortable beds, and the softest sheets of any hotel we stayed in Turkey. The bathrooms are new and clean. They have great views from the terrace and serve a good breakfast that includes filtered coffee. We found the staff helpful and friendly. Free wireless is available in every room, which is not always the case in hotels that offer wireless. I would definitely stay here again. I just visited the Hotel Erboy web site and their breakfasts do look better than the GP. But do you get to eat breakfast on the terrace like you do at the GP?