Do I Need a Hotel Reservation?

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

Do I Need a Hotel Reservation?

Post by George » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 pm

I will be driving between Bursa and Cappadocia next April. I would like to spend some time exploring the interior by making the trip over two days. Since I have no set plans as what to see, I would prefer some flexibility by not locking in a hotel reservation. Being that this will be the height of the tourist season, will I have trouble finding lodging ?

Also I intend to visit the neolithic ruins of Catalhoyuk. Can anyone recommend a hotel closer than Konya?

Thank you

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Do I Need a Hotel Reservation?

Post by David Morgan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I don't think you'll have a problem just turning up at that time of year.
There's a place to stay at Çumra which is near Çatalhöyük -

Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Do I Need a Hotel Reservation?

Post by turkeytom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:49 am

April is certainly high season in Istanbul, Cappadocia and the Ephesus region, but this may not matter in interior cities without much foreign tourism. However, non-touristy areas have more limited hotel facilities, and local events can fill the hotels.

This doesn't mean you have to lock yourself into a reservation right away, but I'd suggest you identify likely stopping-places and hotels there, and keep in touch with them to monitor the situation. For example, a day or two before leaving Bursa, contact a hotel you'd like to stay in and ask if they have vacancies. If they say they are heavily booked, you may want to pin down your room. Otherwise, you can play it looser.

I'd identify one or two alternatives, just in case your first choice is fully booked.

It's slightly out of the way, but I'd suggest going via Konya, the most interesting possible stopping-place between Bursa and Cappadocia. Start after breakfast from Bursa. The 500-km (311-mile) drive takes about 8 hours (without stops). Enjoy Konya in the evening, see the Konya sights the next morning, then the next day stop at some of the Seljuk Turkish caravanserais (especially the Sultan Hanı) along the Silk Road on the shorter drive from Konya to Cappadocia (240 km/ 149 miles, 4 hours):

Konya hotels: ... index.html

Silk Road: ... /SilkRoad/

Seljuk Turkish Caravanserais: ... erais.html

Sultan Hanı: ... index.html

Tom Brosnahan