Looking for luxury style hotel for $200-250 per night

Suggestions, questions and reports on the best places to stay in Istanbul.

Moderator: sinan

kdern

Looking for luxury style hotel for $200-250 per night

Post by kdern » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi all...

I am looking for a hotel that is as close as I can get to a Ritz Carlton experience for under $250 per night. Looks like the Beyoglu and Sultanahmet areas are the best for first time visitors so those are the areas I've been looking at so far. We prefer large hotels over small ones.

Here are the places I've checked in the Beyoglu area so far: http://i.imgur.com/uoTgnFP.png

And hotels in other areas: http://i.imgur.com/FwOBBsK.png

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Any places in my Beyoglu list that look like good options?

Thanks so much!

Kevin

kdern

Re: Looking for luxury style hotel for $200-250 per night

Post by kdern » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

Hi again - I am still researching hotels, trying to figure out where to stay. I always obsess over these details!

I am currently considering the following properties... any feedback on one over the other? This is my first visit to Istanbul and my wife and I will be visiting for a full week.

Neorion Hotel (Sultanahmet) US $220

Richmond Hotel (Beyoglu) - US $239

Not sure about which location would be better for me, but it seems like either would work for a first visit.

Thanks for any feedback!

Kevin

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Post by SwampeastMike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 am

Both hotels you mentioned have excellent locations for their area and both should give excellent accommodation. Yes, both will be luxury hotels although I suspect these are "standard" rooms that will not be particularly spacious.

As you suspect, the main difference is the area.

Neorion Hotel offers nearly perfect walking access to all of the most popular tourist sites of Istanbul--Istanbul Archaeologic Museum, Topkapi Palace, Spice Bazaar, Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, etc. The first three are a shortish, downhill walks; the latter a longer and uphill (but not steep) walk. The drawback is that your dining, shopping and drinking options in the immediate area are limited and tend to be the most touristy, most expensive and least Turkish you will find in Istanbul.

Richmond Hotel is near the lower end of the "long street" along and beside which you will find the best dining, shopping, drinking and just plain people watching options in Istanbul as that area is very popular with the Turkish and foreigners alike. The drawback is that you have to go down a SERIOUSLY steep hill, across the Golden Horn (a spur of the Bosporus Straight) and up another serious if longer and gentler hill to get to Sultanhamet. You can take a taxi of course and while taxi prices in Istanbul are not expensive, traffic is hideous with routes often far longer than if you walk or use public transportation. Richmond Hotel does have nearly perfect access to the "Tünel" (a one-stop underground train that was the 2nd subway built in the world for obvious reasons) down to the Golden Horn where it is a very short walk to the street-level tram which serves all of the Sultanhamet area sites.

kdern

Post by kdern » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently booked at the Richmond - it's the nicest hotel I could find in my budget that is available for my dates. I couldn't decide if I'd rather be in the Old City or Beyoglu but Beyoglu sounds like a perfectly good option. The specific location of this hotel doesn't sound ideal but it's the best I can find right now.

Sounds like it would be at least a decent option for my visit.

Thanks!

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Richmond is not as glam as Neorion. If you are spending most of your time away from the hotel then Richmond is a great location if you have done the sights in Sultanahmet. I wouldn't describe it as luxury style though.

kdern

Post by kdern » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks - I ended up booking at the Doubletree in the Old City. Not luxury but it looks like a pretty new hotel with American style amenities. Good enough for me. I go on Saturday!