Turtles at Cirali beach

Recommendations, tips, reports and warnings about hotels in Antalya, on Turkey's Mediterranean coast.

Moderator: sinan

Al
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Turtles at Cirali beach

Post by Al » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:33 am

Carrie, I know you will answer this...

When is the best time of year to see turtles in your neighborhood?

Thanks!

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:12 am

Hi Al,

Do you want to see the baby sea turtles hatching?? Then you must come in or around mid to late August. Or even possibly early Sept but this might be getting a bit late to still see them hatching. Also you will have to get up at about 5 or 5:30am and go down to the beach. One plus even if you do not see the turtles is the beautiful sunrise over Cirali makes up for it. Not everytime will you see the baby turtles.

Here is another posts about the turtles.

viewtopic.php?t=3023&highlight=turtles

Are you planning a trip to my area ??

Carrie 8)

Al
TTP Expert

Post by Al » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:02 am

>Are you planning a trip to my area ??
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes and no. I just got a new computer LCD monitor and MS Vista has great looking picture of a sea turtle for a background....

My daughter who lived in Antlaya the summer of 2005 saw this turtle and lamented that when they were in Olympos (at a treehouse hotel she truly hated, run by unhelpful people), they had no idea where to look for the turtles. That was mid-August, so she might have had a shot at seeing some.

She said that she planned to go back to the area some day and wondered about a better place to stay and where to see turtles. I told her I knew where to ask.

I may be in Antalya in early October, but I'll be leading a group and - though it pains me to say it - I won't be able to get away to Cirali (or to Demre, where I really want to go).

Thanks!

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Al,

That's very interesting !!! Certainly if she stayes in the Cirali village she will have a much better chance to see the turtles as usually the nests are located more towards the north end of the beach away from the busier section. For a landmark it is normally just past the elementary school on ones left hand side. And yes mid to late August is always good for a chance to see them. Also on YouTube or Google you can find a few videos of the hatchings !!!!

Your daughter can always contact me for any questions about the Cirali area and I do hope that she can one day come back. That's too bad that you will not be able to get to Cirali. You mean you cannot take your group to see the flames of the Chimaera for the night ??? :cry:

Hope one day to meet you !!! always love to meet the members of the forum. Take care
Carrie 8)

Al
TTP Expert

Post by Al » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:39 am

>You mean you cannot take your group to see the flames of the Chimaera for the night ???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wish. Unfortunately, when you lead a group you have to make choices on what to see and not see and how to spend your time. We'll only have 1 1/2 days in Antalya. In that time, we plan to visit Kaleiçi, the museum, Perge, Aspendos, Side and maybe a hamam one night. That's a lot for the time we have.

I'll let you know when we'll be in town. We'll be at the Talya.

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:30 pm

What about maybe seeing the turtles lay the eggs? When does that happen?

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:07 pm

There's some info here about it...
http://www.biodiversity.ru/coastlearn/b ... ncies.html
Probably a full moon in Sept/Oct?

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 pm

For more info about the Loggerhead Turtles please go to these links that I have provide before.

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_ ... &SECTION=2

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_ ... &SECTION=2

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_ ... /index.cfm

Here is some more info about the turtles in protection of the wildlife

The DHKD, by means of brochures in English and Turkish, is warning both local residents and tourists against upsetting the turtles. The brochures, which remind their readers that protection measures are being undertaken because the Caretta Caretta sea turtle is an endangered species according to the Bern and Barcelona International Agreements to which Turkey is a party, recommended rules are listed for the turtles' breeding season, which runs from May to September as follows:

1. Don't drive motor vehicles on the beach.
2. Don't light fires on the beach.
3. Do not use torches on the beach at night.
4. Cover lights which can be seen from the beach.
5. Within one mile from beach, do not use speedboats at more than 5 miles per hour.
6. Do not throw plastic and rubbish on the beach.
7. Do not leave your belongings on the beach at night and do not set up beach umbrellas within 35 m. of the sea.
8. Do not dig in the sand within 35 m. of the sea.
9. Do not leave dogs to run loose on the beach.
10. Do not handle baby turtles.

The chance of seeing a turtle laying their eggs would be pretty slim. Many of the boat captains in Cirali have seen this rare occurance at they spend their nights on the boats. You would have to sit on the beach in the late evening hours with no lights and you might experience this wonderful sight. But like I said pretty rare to witness. As they hatch around mid August to early Sept, I would guess they might be laying eggs around May-early July.

good luck 8)
Last edited by carrie on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Also to Al,

Drop me a line for when you plan to be in Antalya in October...I might be able to drop by the Talya hotel to say hi.

Carrie

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:40 am

Just an update about the sea turtles in Cirali;

The best time to see the small baby turtles hatching is in the very early morning hours...I got up at 6am went down to the beach and followed the persons who take car of the nest. We did not see any until about 7am...plus got a bonus of a great sunrise !!! You can see my photos that I have recently posted of the sunrise and the early morning hours at the beach.

They did explain to me that they really do hatch at night but some still hatch in the early morning hours and require a bit of help to get on with their tiny lives.

Well my son and husband tried again on the morning of Sept 05th to see if they could see any turtles hatching...they got up around 6:15am...went down to the beach and YES today say about 11 or so hatching from one nest.

My husband figures ( along with the advise from the people in charge of the turtles ) that they might still be hatching for another 10 days more.

It is luck if you are there on the right day. The incubation time is drawing to an end so if you are lucky you might get a chance to see one or two. They have been hatching since the later part of August.

Also this year many of my guest have witnessed while swimming about 100m out from the beach the larger turtles..so you might get a chance to see them as well.

Here is my photo links with new photos of the turtles;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/
http://picasaweb.google.com/carrie.akkelle

And the video link too;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1CoRtXZOw

enjoy...I sure did !!!!

Carrie