Antalya Hotel Suggestion: Tuvana Hotel

Recommendations, tips, reports and warnings about hotels in Antalya, on Turkey's Mediterranean coast.

Moderator: sinan

crawpl3

Antalya Hotel Suggestion: Tuvana Hotel

Post by crawpl3 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Tuvana Hotel is a rare and wonderful hotel set in the heart of the old city in Antalya. The first word that comes to mind to describe it is "jewel". Besides the superb location, the staff in this hotel is incredible. Never did I want for anything-- they really bend over backwards to make sure you have a great visit. I stayed here right before I departed for the Lycian Way, a 309 mile\516 km trek from Antalya to Fethiye. I was concerned about how I was going to carry all my supplies over the first mountain range, so I asked if it was possible to send things general delivery in Turkey. It is not, but my friendly hostess offered to call around and see if she could find a proper address in Finike to which I could send a few packages. She did, and took care of sending everything after I left. This is only one of the many examples of the impeccable service offered at Tuvana. Other than the wonderful hosts, the staff is really friendly and they all speak a variety of languages. The breakfast is to die for-- definitely a good reason to get up in the morning (you must try the rose petal honey! yum!). The four-course dinners are also delicious, local, and generous. Make sure you try to stay for one of the bbq's (we had freshly caught sea bass!). The rooms are really special, as many of them are decorated with antiques. I got a great night's sleep in the comfy bed, and the bathrooms are really clean and beautifully tiled. The grounds are really impressive, with gardens and a pool with a full service bar. Antalya itself is really beautiful and has a great cultural atmosphere. I really cannot say enough good things about Tuvana Hotel... I liked it so much that I decided to stay an extra night (3 total)! Now I am just counting the days until I can return.

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Antalya Hotel Suggestion: Tuvana Hotel

Post by carrie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 am

Hi...glad you liked the Tuvana hotel..yes it is lovely inside and I can see why it is one of the hotels that Tom recommends...

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/m ... _inns.html
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:44 pm

They don't have prices on their website. How much does a room cost there?
Sometimes I wish I were on a bigger budget.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi David..I know that they are quite expensive....and it is a very posh hotel...If I remember correctly when I visited there last May with Tom..in the gardens..they quoted me 150 Euros a night...but please do not keep me to this quote...I could be wrong...maybe I saw one of the deluxe rooms...
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

tstiles

Post by tstiles » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:34 pm

Well the other reviews and title say it all , a great experience all around and a real gem to find in Turkey.
Every Facet of this establishment is top notch for very reasonable prices. Rooms , food , service and just going that extra mile are what makes this hotel great. And of course what I mean by that is the fantastic people here. Nermin and Aziz were a delight to meet and really make the difference here, they have stayed true to the heritage of this place in hospitality and taking care of their customers and they make sure your stay is an experience and runs very smoothly, great help before the stay and after are also things you do not normally expect, looking forward to our next return visit
Thanks Nermin and Aziz :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:43 pm

I used TTP religiously when I planned our two week trip to Turkey this summer. I have to say that Tom nailed it in every way, no more so than his recommendation of the Tuvana Hotel in Antalya. Where do I begin? How about when we were warmly greeted by Ms. Nermin Sumer and offered a welcome drink. A cold beer and glass of wine hit the spot. She spent time talking with my wife and me getting to know us, before having the bellman show us to our upgraded room. Another WOW moment. Gorgeous. Helpful suggestions from all the staff throughout our stay. The gormet dinner was another highlight. Impeccable service, delicious fresh food, wonderful wine list, with Ms Sumer and the hotel owner enjoying their dinner a few tables away, making sure everyone was happy.

Thanks Tom, and thanks Ms Sumer. We will be back.

Mike and Julia Walsh
Boston, MA

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:29 am

We spent eight nights at Tuvana in October, 2009. Yes, it is rather expensive--about 150 euro/night for a standard room--but the cost is more than justified by the service, the location and the atmosphere. The rooms are generously sized, very nicely furnished and with especially well-appointed baths. The decoration is supremely attractive and tasteful--rich but not flamboyant; elegant but not ostentatious. The small courtyard leading to the fine restaurant and bar is genuinely flawless.

We were both struck by the feeling that Tuvana is a world-in-a-world. Antalya is by far the largest "tourist town" I have ever visited. Tuvana is near the outer edge of the old, Moorish city which is itself its own little world. Within this little world you find Tuvana--almost hidden on a one-block alley that dead-ends at both ends. Even late in the season the other streets are often filled with tourists, but few find reason to venture into this alleyway because except for a book/antique/rug repair shop at one end, there is nothing except Tuvana.

The buffet-style breakfast was the best I have experienced at many different hotels of all prices and sizes in Turkey. The fine dining restaurant is just that--FINE DINING--with impeccable service, delicious and beautifully prepared food at a price similar to Red Lobster or Outback Steakhouse. Liquor and wine are quite expensive (I won't even mention the menu price for a bottle of Dom Perignon) but the house wines we ordered with dinners were comparative bargains and among the finest I have tasted.

My only possible complaint is actually one of the things that makes Tuvana so wonderful--it is EXTREMELY easy to miss, especially late at night. I spent more than an hour searching for the place late one night and even our professional guide/driver had to ask directions multiple times to find the place during the day.

One of the finest experiences of my life occurred while we stayed at Tuvana. I am a fine cabinet/furniture maker/repairman and became extremely intrigued by the Turks who sat at one end of the alley repairing rugs. More than anything I thought I might learn how to repair my favorite soft Levis when they split at the knee, yet I became fascinated by the similarity of making new repairs to old wood and making new repairs to old rugs. I asked permission to sit (on the pavement) and watch. After two or three hours I went to the desk at Tuvana and asked the clerk to write (in Turkish) why I was watching as it was clear that their English was no better than my Turkish.

The manager brought me an old, very worn Cappadocian (his homeland) rug and gave me a crash course in repairing the warp threads. After I worked for a few hours he brought me all of the required wool to repair as well as a number of tools and absolutely refused to accept any money but he did accept my gift of my favorite and finest silk shirt after which he gave me a Cappadocian vase from his antique shop. I spent the next two days working in the street with the other workers as the manager seemed to bring every rug dealer in the area to see the "American who stays at Tuvana who can repair kilim". We shared the simplest lunches while sitting on the floor of the shop and Sunday found my invitation to the beach along with the manager's family and the other workers.

Many tourists have very intersting pictures of us working together in the street and we had great fun as I talked with the tourists only in simple Turkish while they talked only in simple English. I have a completely legitimate offer of a job including room and board and while the pay is nothing I just may take the offer next year.
Attachments
Mike Turkey 1.jpg
Mike Turkey 1.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 8137 times