Road from Fethiye to Elmali and to Arykanda and Finike

Recommendations, tips, reports and warnings about hotels in Antalya, on Turkey's Mediterranean coast.

Moderator: sinan

meander

Road from Fethiye to Elmali and to Arykanda and Finike

Post by meander » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

We want to visit Arykanda on my way to Antalya from Fethiye. I wish to have some local knowledge on the road 07-53 going off the 400 at Kalkan and 635 going from Elmali south to Finike. Are these okay roads for a regular passenger car? How long would it take to drive from Fethiye to Arykanda and, can anyone recommend a place to stay in the area. Our ultimate goal is to visit Arykanda, Aspendos and then drive to Goreme. We leave Fethiye on 29 September and have reservations in Goreme on 2 and 3 of October, so, we have 3 nights to get from Fethiye to Goreme. We would appreciate any suggestions?

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Road from Fethiye to Elmali and to Arykanda and Finike

Post by David Morgan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm

If you take that road, you'll be missing one of the nicest stretches of coast road - that between Kalkan and Kaş.

I recommend going to Kaş and then taking the 07-52 up to the 07-53. I've done those roads by motorbike and they're OK and very pleasant countryside. 220km from Fethiye to Arykanda along that road (probably 3 hours or more).

Maybe stay at Çirali the first night and Side the second before heading up to Cappadocia.

meander

Post by meander » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks David, I will go from Kas...but, I see another road that goes off the 07-52 directly into Arykanda and perhaps this is a good enough road. Are you familiar with that one?
I think Cirali is a good choice for an overnight but, I am not sure how the timing is going to work for us. The route 635 looks pretty scenic and Finike may have to be where we end for the day as I try not to drive at night. It all depends on what time we get off the gulet and actually leave Fethiye on the 29th of Sept. I am thinking they will want us off by 10:30a.m. at least. As I am talking to you, my mind is starting to work properly....I am thinking that we can just drive to Kas or beyond and overnight before we visit Arykanda. We could drive the 635 up there and then over to Antalya via Elmali and Korkuteli....see Aspendos and overnight in Side or nearby and head up the 695 to Konya and Goreme. What do you think of that route?
Usually there are only 2 of us but, we are 4 this trip and often it is difficult to find ample lodging for 4 along the way without reservations. I will look into some of the villages along the way for pensions. Thanks for your help, David!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:51 am

meander wrote:I see another road that goes off the 07-52 directly into Arykanda and perhaps this is a good enough road. Are you familiar with that one?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that one, but you're obviously the adventurous type, Meander, so I'll say yes, go for it, it's probably asphalt, no problem, with the right map and a phrase book (as I tend to travel).

Yes, stop at Kaş for the night after Fethiye, because you really ought to see some of the ancient Lycian sites along that road, e.g. Tlos, Pinara, Xanthos and Patara (if you're into that sort of thing) and the Saklikent gorge too.
Kaş is a lovely laid-back fishing town, with excellent accommodation - some of the best scuba diving in Turkey.

As far as the route to Cappadocia is concerned, you've got the choice of going north at Manavgat after Aspendos, or maybe back to Antalya and due north, stopping at Eğirdir on the way.

P.S. You should have no problem at the end of September just turning up and finding accommodation. Maybe worth having a shortlist, though.

meander

Post by meander » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks David! I can think a bit more clearly after our discussion so I feel you have helped me get my head straightened! It has been 6 years since I drove around Turkey with my friends and we all fell in love with the people there so, I am anxious to return with my artist friends so we can paint and explore. I have planned to see different sights (only Efes will be a repeat) and areas for this trip. Seems like I have dedicated my soul to this trip for the last 8 months and as our departure time nears, I am still adrift with 3 nights left to plan! I think I will go with the flow and have a back-up list of pension possibilities as you suggested. Thank you. IV

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 pm

meander wrote:I think I will go with the flow
Yes, a good way to go. Turkey is very flow friendly.