where is the train station in istanbul? Where leave luggage?

Travel by train to, in and around Turkey

Moderator: sinan

dorisinbaytown

where is the train station in istanbul? Where leave luggage?

Post by dorisinbaytown » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:02 am

We will be flying from Istanbul to Izmir, visiting Ephesus, staying in Selcuk, then going to Pamukkale with a guide. From Pamukkale we will take the night train back to Istanbul. Where can we leave our larger luggage in Istanbul during our side trip to Ephesus?

Where is the train station in Istabul located? Are there any good, relatively inexpensive hotels nearby? And how close to the airport is the train station?

Thank you!
dorisinbaytown

Ali Asterisk
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Ali Asterisk » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Have you thought about leaving your luggage at the airport, particularly as you are flying to Izmir?

There are two train stations in Istanbul. The train from Denizli (this is where you get the overnight train from after visiting Pamukkale) arrives at Haydarpasha which is on the Asian side of Istanbul. The airport is on the European side. Sorry, I do not know the best way of getting between the two - depends on your time/cost restraints. I'm sure someone on this site will be able to help you.

This link explains the two trains stations:-

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Wher ... _tren.html

And this one has some info on the sleeper train:-

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Tran ... rains.html

I did the overnight sleeper last year from Istanbul to Denizli - it was one of the highlights of our trip - here's a small write up:-

viewtopic.php?p=6878&highlight=#6878

You must be very close to leaving for your trip - have a great time. Turkey and the people are wonderful. :D

dorisinbaytown

Post by dorisinbaytown » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Thank you so much. I had seen the page on the train stations, but didn't know which one we would be coming into. I'm just trying to get it straight in my mind before we go.

We may take your advice on leaving luggage at the airport, however, we now have a reservation for the night after we return from Pamukkale at the same hotel where we are staying during our first few days in Istanbul, so we will probably just try to leave it there.

I was trying to find a reasonable ($) hotel near the airport for that last night, but finally decided to just stay at the Hotel Sari Konak and take a taxi the next morning. We will have stayed there for three nights before that last night, and I figure that we will feel like they're family by then, and they should be a great source of advice.

Your report was helpful and fun to read. Thank you for that, too!
dorisinbaytown

Ali Asterisk

Post by Ali Asterisk » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:21 pm

If you are staying at the hotel on your last night I'm sure you will be able to leave your luggage there - most hotels offer this service.

Also, most hotels offer a free (one way) service to the airport, or back, if you have stayed with them for three nights or more - might be worth emailing your hotel to see if they offer this service. If you don't ask, you don't get is always my motto!!

Once again have a really fantastic trip.

HansonB

Re: where is the train station in istanbul? Where leave lugg

Post by HansonB » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks for the links, Ali!
I hope they are still in use, as far as this is quite an old post. :o

I'm gonna visit Istanbul in a month, I've never been there and want my trip be on the highest level!
THanks for your tips!
Convert mp4 to avi!

Ali Asterisk

Re: where is the train station in istanbul? Where leave lugg

Post by Ali Asterisk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Hansonb

Most of those links work. Are you planning a train trip then?
Check through the information on Tom's site - that has the best info you can ever want and then if you still have questions post something here in the forum.

Istanbul is amazing - how long are you planning on staying there?

Regards

Ali