Turkey in Dec/Jan

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

enigmused
How many stars? **: 0

Turkey in Dec/Jan

Post by enigmused » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi, I'm going to be in Turkey from Dec. 26-Jan. 10 and I have a few questions:

1) Are there any areas I should skip because things will be shut down, because they won't be scenic that time of year, etc.? I'm from Chicago so I'm fine with being cold, but I just don't want to waste any time. My tentative itinerary includes Istanbul, Ephesus, Bodrum, a side trip to Rhodes, Kas, Antalya, and Cappadocia.

2) How hard is it to travel during Kurban Bayrami? Is it better to just stay in one place the whole time and not deal with travelling? And what closes? Like if I want to take a guided tour to Ephesus from Bodrum during that time, is that even possible?

3) On New Year's Day, what shuts down? Do buses still run?

Thanks!

olympos

Post by olympos » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 pm

Dear enigmused,

welcome to Turkey. :D

1) If you wanna go to Rhodes, you'll need to take a plane, the last ferry for the season 2007 will depart on 31st october.

Of course "things" (shops, discos) will shut down, but its worth to go to Istanbul, Ephesus, Bodrum, Antalya and Cappadocia. Kas will be dead, be warned :-))

2) For a guided tour to Ephesus from Bodrum and more answers to your specific questions, please contact http://www.travelshopturkey.com located in Bodrum. They will have a tour.

3) New year is not really a celebration in Turkey, you won't see many parties or even fireworks. Buses still run.

Turkish people are traveling home for bayram, you'll need to make reservations for your buses 1 or 2 days ahead.

best regards
OLYMPOS

enigmused

Kas

Post by enigmused » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 pm

so Kas is dead in the sense that there won't be any tourists (I prefer that), or dead in the sense that there won't be anything to do?

olympos

Post by olympos » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:01 pm

Yes, right, both. :lol:

Nobody there and nothing to do at all. Nearly all hotels, shops, restaurants and bars are closed in Kas at your time of travel. For accommodation, the Hideaway Hotel in Kas is highly recommended. http://www.kasturkey.com

have a nice time :D
OLYMPOS

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:58 am

Hi there,
In that period you like to travel it will be quiet everywhere, only Istanbul has more tourism around Christmas and NewYear.
You might find nice sunny days along the Agean and Mediterranean, but with some bad luck also some winterish rain. But since the 6 year I live near Fethiye the real rain doesn't really start until February.
I would recommend you to travel with a guide book so every time you plan to go to the next hotel you can make a reservation form where you are staying as many small boutique hotels shut down of the winter
I am sure everybody where you are staying will be helpfull you help you for your next stops.
It is not hard to travel during New Year and not during Bayram, in Istanbul it might be crowded during those days, trafficjams all around. Last Bayram a normal 20 minutes trip from Anadolu to European Istanbul took me over 2 hours.
I did take the ferry from Marmaris to Rhodes last winter, so please check out if the ferry's run, possibly not every day. The hydrofoil from fethiye definitely stops the end of October until 1st of May.
And for Cappedocia, you should leave that plan until you are here. It is so worth to go there, but with a chance for lots of snow it is hard to get there.
Good luck!

OceanEleven

Post by OceanEleven » Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Hi,

I'm going to Turkey too this coming December.
I'll be taking flight from Malaysia on the 22nd.I'll be back on the next Saturday, the 29th.

Questions:

1. I think nowadays tourism in Turkey is not limited, including during winter time isn'it? In fact, I'm trying to avoid the crowd by avoiding visiting the tourist attraction places during the summer. I have read extensively about visiting Turkey during winter, and most of them have reported that tourism business runs as usual during winter.
I want to really confirm on this matter before booking my tickets & make tyhe hotel reservation.

2. As for this year, Kurban Bayrami(Eid Adha) will fall either on the 19th or 20th Dec.
Back in my country, Eid Adha is not widely celebrated. It is just one day public holiday. As I read Tom's guide about Kurban Bayrami, it is celebrated up to one weeks! The peak celebration this year will start from the 19th, and carry on till the 23rd. As I'll arrive on the 22nd, do u think I will face any major problems (transportation, hotel reservation, Bhosphorus ride , etc ) for the next couple of days? As the bank will close for a week, do the money changers still open as usual?(there is no Turkish Lira in the money changer in Malaysia, so I have to convert my Ringgit Malaysia currency to US dollar, and then convert it to TL when I arrive in Istanbul).

margaretp

Re: Turkey in Dec/Jan

Post by margaretp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:20 pm

If you are that good, why not pay to advertise on this site rather than sneak onto the forum?
MPD