2 week Trip to Turkey (Istanbul; Antalya to Ephesus)

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

SueDinWAUSA
How many stars? **: 0

2 week Trip to Turkey (Istanbul; Antalya to Ephesus)

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Wed May 07, 2008 2:48 am

I'm planning a trip to Turkey, starting Jun 24 for our family of four (kids are 14 and 15). I already have booked the international flight, the domestic flight to Antalya, the rental car from Antalya to Kusadasi, and the ferry to Pireaus. We are bringing 2 small tents so that we can camp whenever it feels right. We are not planning on booking accomodations for every single night so that we are flexible. Is this a bad plan for this time?

My proposed itinerary is as follows:
Th June 26: Explore Istanbul
F June 27: Explore Istanbul
Sa June 28: Explore Istanbul; 17:35 flight to Antalya; pickup rental car; drive to old town and explore
Su June 29: Trip to Termessos, Karain cave; drive to Cirali; see Chimaera at night?
M June 30: Explore Cirali and cavus bay, Stay in Finiki
Tu July 1: Explore Finiki and Arykandra; stay there
W July 2: Stay in Bezirgan at Owlsland
Th July 3: Stay in Patara (beach, ruins)
F July 4: Camp somewhere near Fethiye
Sa July 5: Drive north past Mugla and Milas, stay in Kiyikislacik or Guluk
Su July 6: Visit ruins at Priene, Didyma and Miletus
M July 7: Explore Sirince or less touristed area; Visit Ephesus in afternoon; stay in Selcuk
Tu July 8: Selcuk museum in morning; explore Selcuk; return rental car and stay overnight in Kusadasi
W July 9: Ferry to Samos in morning; Ferry to Piraeus at 22:30

However, after reading more in TTP, i thought it may be nice to continue past Termessos, go to Korkuteli, check out Elmali and Arykanda and end up on the coastal road at Finike. I'm interested in seeing more than just the touristed areas, so i thought this would be good. However, we would miss Cirali and Cavus Bay.

Does anyone have good budget or camping suggestions for Antalya and Kusadasi?

Also, does anyone know if it is risky to assume a ferry can get us to Samos on July 9 in the morning? How many ferries do this route? If the ferry doesn't go that day, can we find a boat to hire?

Thank you in advance for any advice,
Sue
Last edited by SueDinWAUSA on Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Morgan

Re: 2 week Trip to Turkey

Post by David Morgan » Wed May 07, 2008 1:10 pm

It's only 170km from Çıralı to Owlsland, you could visit Limyra, Arykanda and even Choma easily on the way.
I stayed a night in Finike once and I wouldn't do it again, because everywhere else is so much nicer.
Looks like Meander Travel does a Kuşadası - Samos ferry.

geroll

Post by geroll » Wed May 07, 2008 5:04 pm

"I stayed a night in Finike once and I wouldn't do it again, because everywhere else is so much nicer."

I totally disagree with this comment. Finike is a very pretty town on the coast,very green, crossed by a river, with a beautiful marina,free from mass tourism...but of course few tourist dedicated shops and bars.
Moreover Finike is a very good starting point for Arykanda (30mn) Lymira (10 mn) Cirali and Olympos(1 hour), Phaselis (1 hour), Adrasan (1 hour) Myra (30 mn) Kekova (1h15) and Kas (1h15)
Gérard
http://www.orangeraie-de-finike.com

SueDinWAUSA

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Wed May 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Thank you for your replies... your disagreement over a location is not surprising. I asked a friend of mine from Turkey about going to Termessos vs Aspendos, and he chose the latter hands down. From the information on the TTP, I'd choose Termessos. Partly because we love the mountains and this location sounds great, plus it has more than the theatre.

I am trying to balance what the adults would like (ruins, hikiing, mountains, exploring old towns, some beach time, and of course more ruins) to what our 2 teenages would like (one would rather be in Italy attached to a computer, or at least a beach in Turkey; the other loves historical stuff and being in new situations).

The more i think about it, I think we should go inland from Termessos, and then go south to Finiki from Korkuteli to Finiki. We'll stop at Korkuteli and then Elmali, seeing Choma, Arykanda and Limra on the way down to Finike. How DID you find these other ruins? Did you drive the route, or check Google earth before you left? Would you try to drive from Antalya all the way to Finiki in one day, or find a place to stay along the way?

Will we have problems finding small pensions or camping places along the way without reservations?

So, i'm going to drop Cirali (we couldn't get a family room at Canada Hotel anyway) and give up on Cavus Bay (only beach there, no ruins).

Does anyone have suggestions for villages to visit/stay/camp around Selcuk? we will have flexibility with our rental car, so logistics will be easier.

Again, i thank everyone responding!!! /sue

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 am

SueDinWAUSA wrote:How DID you find these other ruins? Did you drive the route, or check Google earth before you left?
I did a circuit on my motorbike out of Kaş (preferable to Finike, in my opinion) where I stayed for a week last year; visited Limyra and Arykanda, but rode straight past Choma, not knowing it was there (not all sites are marked on my Freytag-Berndt map). And I failed to find Nisa when I went for a burn up to Sütleğen on another day (must have passed Owlsland). Nice empty country roads up there around Elmalı.
Would you try to drive from Antalya all the way to Finiki in one day, or find a place to stay along the way?
It's only 185km via the inland route, no problem doing it in one hit, including stops.

SueDinWAUSA

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 am

I've revised the trip to skip the coastal road from Antalya to Finike and take the inland route.

Su June 29: Trip to Termessos, Karain cave; drive to Korkuteli and stay the night
M June 30: Driving south on the inland route, explore Elmali (Monday is market day), Karaguli Duden falls, Choma, Arykandra; stay the night in the mountains
Tu July 1: Explore Myra, Kas; stay overnight
W July 2: Explore enroute to Patara; stay overnight
Th July 3: Camp somewhere near Fethiye
F July 4: Explore west of Fethiye
Sa July 5: Drive north past Mugla and Milas, stay in Kiyikislacik or Guluk
Su July 6: Visit ruins at Priene, Didyma and Miletus
M July 7: Explore Sirince or less touristed area; Visit Ephesus in afternoon; stay in Selcuk
Tu July 8: Selcuk museum in morning; explore Selcuk; return rental car and stay overnight in Kusadasi
W July 9: Ferry to Samos in morning; Ferry to Piraeus at 22:30

I'm still hoping to get a good suggestion for reasonable pension place in old-town Antalya and in Kusadasi close to the ferry.

I'd also like ideas of other towns than Sirince that would be less touristy (or is it OK in July?) to stay in, but still relatively close. ANy good pensions in the suggested town? How is Selcuk in July?

How bad are the mosquitos in July?

Thanks again for the help!
/sue

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat May 10, 2008 1:11 pm

I'd skip Choma (I suggested it because I thought you were going to take the road past it). Instead I'd suggest - having maybe seen in the Antalya Museum the treasure from Bayındır - you could perhaps visit the tumuli from which they came. Also there are a couple of tombs decorated with frescoes at Kizilbel and Karaburun near Elmalı (from what I understand).

SueDinWAUSA

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am

I finally found that the Antalya Museum is open Tuesday-Sunday from 09:00 to 18:00. I couldn't find where Bayindir and Karaburun are located near Elmali though.

Has anyone taken the book mentioned on Tom's page about Lycia, ("Lycia", by Prof. Dr. Cevdet Bayburtluoglu) and used it when they were driving in Lycia? Is it usable by a family travelling around the area in search of ruins in out of the way places?

Has anyone stayed in Korkuteli, Elmali, Arykandra, or anywhere inbetween? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, i'm still in search of good (oozing with history or charm but still reasonably priced) places to stay in Selcuk, Sirince, or any nearby town. We do have a rental car!

Thank you for your responses!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue May 13, 2008 2:12 pm

SueDinWAUSA wrote:I couldn't find where Bayindir and Karaburun are located near Elmali though.
Somewhere around here. I see that the Arzu Otel in Elmalı is used by several archaeological tours, they'd probably be able to tell you where everything is.
SueDinWAUSA wrote:Has anyone taken the book mentioned on Tom's page about Lycia, ("Lycia", by Prof. Dr. Cevdet Bayburtluoglu) and used it when they were driving in Lycia? Is it usable by a family travelling around the area in search of ruins in out of the way places?
I've been meaning to get this myself, seems to have them all. You'll be totally ruined out in no time! If you want out-of-the-way, try Oinoanda.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Tue May 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Elmali: The exact date of the establishment of Elmali which is placed in the Lycian region is unknown. Excavations near Semahöyük at the East and near Beyler Village at the West indicate that the region has been habitated since the bronze age. Some places to be visited in town are Selçuklu Mosque, Kütük Mosque, Sinan-i Ümmi Mosque, Ömer Pasa Mosque and Complex.

Korkuteli: Is 67 kilometers from Antalya. 3 kilometers to the west of Korkuteli, Aladdin Mosque which has only its gate standing today can be visited, as well as the Seljuk madrasah built by El Emin Sinaeddin from Hamidogullari Family at 1319.

LIMYRA (TURUNCOVA, ZENGERLER)

Limyra is 11 km. beyond Kumluca on the Finike-Kumluca highway. It is known to have existed in the 5th century B.C. While suffering extensive damage from an earthquake in 141 A.D. Limyra rose again, but unable to withstand the Arab invasions in the 7th and 9th centruies A.D. the inhabitants abandoned the city. It consists of theree main parts, the acropolis, the settlement and the necropolis. The interesting rock tombs seen on the right of the road from Turuncova to Elmali do not belong to Limyra.

Has anyone stayed in Korkuteli, Elmali, Arykandra, or anywhere inbetween? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
there are no hotels in Arykanda..however Finike is the closest for accommodations..

Gönülköşküm Highland House - Korkuteli/Antalya Web: www.gonulkoskum.com e-mail: info@gonulkoskum.com ( whether they are current or not can't be sure )

Yesil Vadi Pension-Camping - Situated near Termessos (15 km from Antalya), only 300 metres from a main road. http://www.yesil-vadi.com/

sorry these two areas have little to offer over the internet for accommodations..however there is..we have had a few groups that have stayed with us then their next destination was Elmali..
I'd also like ideas of other towns than Sirince that would be less touristy (or is it OK in July?) to stay in, but still relatively close. ANy good pensions in the suggested town? How is Selcuk in July?
We stayed in Selcuk and fully enjoyed the Akay Hotel...you can find my posts regarding this hotel..just so a search..cannot comment about July we visited in Feb.
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom