2 week Trip to Turkey (Istanbul; Antalya to Ephesus)

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: 2 week Trip to Turkey (Antalya to Ephesus)

Post by carrie » Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 pm

With all that said...and discussing important sites along the Lycian coastline..you are misssing two important sites..1. Phaselis and 2. Olympos...far less touristy than Demre or Myra...also the ruins of Olympos are like a bit of an Indiana Jones adventure because not all the ruins are in plain sight...you have to explore the jungle like area to find them...thats why it is an adventure and maybe the kids would like it..

We visited Phaselis for the first time a few months ago and if you look at my photos you will see a bit of the site...however if you go along the inland route you will miss these important areas as well..It is a bit tragic that you come so near ( mentioning Finike ) which is less than 1 hrs drive from Cirali...

Also in Sept 2006 we did travel from Cirali to Demre, Myra, Kekova and on the way back stopped in Arykanda in one full day ( left in the morning around 9am and was back to Cirali by 6pm ) ..but like you have said you want to take things a bit slower and at an easy pace...

And I am writing this not to deter you from your plans but as a mom...I did hope that you are thinking of fun things to do that your children will enjoy..for example my daughter hates these types of excursions ( museums, historical sites etc... ) but my son ( younger ) loves them and enjoyed them fully..but each child is different...I know your kids will really enjoy Termessos...
and the ruins near Kusadasi (Priene, Didyma, etc)?
Didyma ( touristy ) was and important site but I much preferred the sites of Priene and Miletus...as they were not touristy...

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/A ... letus.html

Euromos and the Bafa area we also enjoyed....another place we could have stopped at ( but didn't ) was Lagina...and not to mention around or before Kusadasi...the cave of Zeus ..my son wanted to go there but we didnt..eventually we will go again...to miss the places we did not see..even the Efes museum..we did not see...in our 4 nights and 5 days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_cave

Surrounded mostly by the olive trees and a great variety of the colorful wild flowers of the region, The Cave of Zeus, pretends to be hidden from the view, serving as a "secret" place. To the mythology, Zeus used to swim inside, with the beautiful girls of the village, hiding from his jealous wife, Hera. An enjoying path, lined by the daisies, reaches to the entrance of The Cave of Zeus. The sparkling clear and deep water inside the cave, forms the unique pool, suitable for swimming.

as you can see there are sooooooo many possibilites for your trip..and you cannot see them all...but you will have a trip of a lifetime :D
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

David Morgan

Re: 2 week Trip to Turkey (Antalya to Ephesus)

Post by David Morgan » Fri May 16, 2008 2:06 pm

carrie wrote:another place we could have stopped at ( but didn't ) was Lagina
Yes, the Temple of Hecate at Lagina is on my to-do list.

SueDinWAUSA

Re: 2 week Trip to Turkey (Istanbul; Antalya to Ephesus)

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Fri May 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello! I plan on fine tuning the ruins once i get the Lycia book. Right now I'd like to consider the trip after our stay at Patara Beach:

Th July 3: Explore Tlos and Salikent Gorge (Jeanne suggested tree houses, and i think the kids would like that)
F July 4: Explore Letoon, Pinara, stay at George's Place in Faralya (another good place for the kids)
Sa July 5: Explore another part of Fethiye area (stay more than one night of the prior two nights, or another location in Fethiye or elsewhere)
Su July 6: leave Fethiye and drive towards Selcuk, stay in Kiyikislacik
M July 7: Visit ruins at Priene and Miletus, drop off rental car in Kusadasi, bus back to Selcuk, explore, relax, sleep
Tu July 8: Selcuk museum in morning; explore Selcuk; visit Ephesus in the afternoon/evening to avoid tour buses and to get the sunset; back to Selcuk pansion
W July 9: Bus to Kusadasi, ferry to Samos at 8:30; Ferry to Piraeus at 22:30

How do i contact George's Place? Remember, we can also camp :)

thank you all for your input, this forum has really been a good source of information!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat May 17, 2008 1:20 pm

You've got a nice trip going there, flexibility is good.
SueDinWAUSA wrote:How do i contact George's Place? Remember, we can also camp :)
There's a phone number here:
http://www.stpaultrail.com/LycianWayCon ... ation.html

David Morgan

Re: 2 week Trip to Turkey

Post by David Morgan » Tue May 20, 2008 1:02 pm

David Morgan wrote:I failed to find Nisa when I went for a burn up to Sütleğen on another day.
These people found it! I asked several people in the square at Sütleğen when I stopped there and none of them seemed to know. :? Perhaps my Turkish is not good enough.

SueDinWAUSA

Post by SueDinWAUSA » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Hello! Thanks for all of the input, I feel fairly prepared for the trip!

I am still a little worried about the driving, being warned from a number of people. However, we'll only travel during the daylight hours.

I will definitely give a report of our trip when we're back. If the "Lycia" book gives me even more suggestions, then I may post more before our trip.

If anyone wants to make additional comments, I'd love them! I need to get a better map of Turkey to determine the best course of travel while in the Fethiye region.

Thank you All!

/sue

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed May 21, 2008 12:52 pm

This looks like a useful map of Lycia.