Kusadasi in May

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

SarahK

Kusadasi in May

Post by SarahK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi all

My mum and I will be visiting Turkey, Kusadasi for the first time (16th-23rd May 2009) and wondered what the weather will be like(ish) around that time. Also do you have any places that you recommend we visit? We will be staying in the Ephesus Princess hotel.

jenjen

Re: Kusadasi in May

Post by jenjen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:17 am

Hi SarahK

Your post has brought back happy memories of my first time to Turkey and the Ephesus Princess in Kusadasi. We also went in May, it was very hot that year (1998) and I think quite unusual, but you will definitely be sunbathing every day at this time of year.

The hotel itself was all that we had hoped,very clean and well run, is it still all-inclusive?

We ventured down to the town by dolmus once or twice, which was quite a culture overload at the time! You are ideally situated to visit Ephesus and Pamukkale in particular, and I'm sure there are others who will give you much more information about the area.

I hope you have a lovely holiday and thanks for reminding me where my love of Turkey was born.

SarahK

Post by SarahK » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:39 am

Hi Jenjen

Many thanks for your lovely post. Yes we have opted to go all inclusive, but I have come across some reviews that say that the food is not good there. :(

We are looking forward to our holiday as I have not been away since 1994. We are a bit unsure of what to expect but after reading several posts on this forum I see that Turkey has a lot to offer and I am now getting quite excited.

Thanks again

Sarah

jenjen

Post by jenjen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Well, you set me off on a bit of a google Sarah!

I have read some recent reports on the hotel and hope they haven't put you off at all. I have since lived and worked in Turkey, and the small complaints about food issues are the same all across the tourist resorts. The Turkish cuisine is very different to our British tastes and although you will find English Breakfast, Burger Bars and Roast Beef on Sunday in all the resorts, it will rarely be like "home".......but to me that is just how it should be, and part of the delight of being in a foreign country.

Most meals are served with salad, fruit and bread (including breakfast!).....meat and fish dishes are quite plain but deliciously seasoned and I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy meal times if you are prepared to try local dishes.

Turkey does indeed have so much to offer! The hospitality, scenery and historic/cultural sites really are second to none........I could waffle on for hours!

Jen

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by davcamp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Hello,
I have been there twice...Suggest taking minibus for 20 minutes to Ephesus/Selcuk. Lot's to do up there.
Be sure to see Ephesus museum and old city ruins.
Have a look at Sirince for lovely vineyards and good wines. In Kusadasi visit the fortress and grab a strawberry smoothie for a real treat!
davcamp

jenjen

Post by jenjen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Mmm, sounds delicious Davcamp!

We had a lovely lunch in an upstairs fish restaurant overlooking the port. The children wanted ice-cream, which they did'nt serve at the time, but in true Turkish tradition a runner was sent off and came trotting back up the street with two bowls from another restaurant!

I agree about visiting Selcuk which has a traditional market day as I recall, and how lovely to go to Ephesus on a dolmus rather than with a tour operator! 8)

SarahK

Post by SarahK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Many thanks for your replies and lovely suggestions.

We will most certainly be wanting to get involved and experience Turkish life, and from what I have read it is very much on offer if you look for it.

Jenjen, fortunately, we are big fans of salad and fruit so this should suit us. I am glad you have said that about the hotel, I was thinking along those same lines myself

Davcamp, I'll be looking out for those vineyards!

Not long to go now, I'm getting more excited by the day!

sophief

Post by sophief » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Sarah,

May is definitely the perfect time to visit Turkey. I was in Selcuk around the same time before. It's around 25 degres which makes it not too unbearable to visit the ruins of Ephesus (not to be missed).
Also try and get a local bus (called dolmus) to Selcuk (ask your hotel for details) and have lunch in the streets around the main square. It's a very pleasant small turkish town and a change from the usual resorts. The area round the castle is very nice and the view from up there is beautiful. You can also take another dolmus from Selcuk to Sirince as someone else suggested. It's got old houses and lots of fruit wine shops everywhere but you will see lots of daytrippers from Kusadasi in the village. enjoy!
s.
sophie

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 pm

You will have a good time in Turkey. Below you find a forum about Kusadasi where you can learn about Kusadasi and surroundings.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Mi ... adasi.html
The hotel is luxus. Dont forget to take everyday Turkish bath (in Turkish: Hamam) at the hotel. ıt is free for the guests. You will love that. There are some officials( masseurs) waiting at the enterence. you must tell them you want to be rubbed your dead shin out of your body.They speak English. But I write in Turkish ( Keselenmek istiyorum= I want rubbing my body)They will reserve a time for you and your mother. After hamam you will feel yoursself featherlight and wonder that how dirty you were. After hamam you will be a fan of hamam.
Food to be served at hotel is prima. There are all kinds of fruits, cheese, butter, sweets, honig, olives, domatoes, ect 1001 turkish, english and continental delights.

A good joke about Kusadasi:

A historical true story about Okuz Mehmet Pasha who builded a caravansarai at the port of Kusadasi for all kinds of goods, animals and humans. Today the Caravansarai is a luxus international hotel.

Okuz Mehmet Pasha was Grand Vezier of the Ottoman Empire between the years 1616-19. Okuz (pronounsation:Oekuez) means in Turkish Oxe. He was a good man but it was very hard to explain something to him. For that reason his classmates called him Oxe. One day while he was on the field at war and discussing about the situation with his diwan the court, an oxe looked inside the tent and said "muuuu" Every Pashas, Veziers, Beys, all laughted. Mehmet pasha was not upset.He just laughted and said. "A friend of mine came to ask me what I was doing in the middle of Donkeys.
My Kusadasi page:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7d696/1beeea/
Don't die before visiting Turkey

jenjen

Post by jenjen » Mon May 25, 2009 9:31 am

Hi SarahK

Hope you had a great time! Would love to hear how the holiday went, where you visited and if you liked Turkey.

Jen