Cappadocia in September

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

jenshirt

Cappadocia in September

Post by jenshirt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 am

Hi All!
I am SO excited I am finally getting to go to Turkey for the first time. Me and a female friend are arriving on the 12th of september. We have a booked tour of the (mostly) western sights through Contiki. This tour includes Gallipoli, Troy, Pergamum, Canakkale, Kusadasi, Ephesus, Hierapolis, Pamukkale, and ending back in Istanbul (where we have a whole day of sightseeing) This tour ends the morning of the 19th of September.

We are planning on going out to Cappadocia for 4 or 5 nights, leaving for there on the 19th. We haven't booked anything yet but are planning on booking soon. As I have become aware of the timing with Seker Bayrami, I am wondering if anyone knows if the museum will only be closed on just the sunday and monday, or if it will be closed for our whole stay? As well what about the underground cities? Also are restaurants open during this time as well?

Any information would be wonderful. We are looking to book a package with flights to and from Istanbul.

Jennifer

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Cappadocia in September

Post by steve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Avoid a pckage - you can do this yourself with a decent guidebook. You'll save loads of money and likely stay in much nicer accomodation.

Tosun Saral
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Tosun Saral » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm

September is the best season in Turkey. Nevsehir (read: Nevsheir) is the capital city of the region called Cappadocia. The other famous towns of Nevsehir are Goreme, Uchisar, Avanos, Urgup. They are al touristic towns. I give you under a nice forum about Goreme(read: Goereme) where you can find cheep and nice cave hostels:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Mi ... oreme.html

coution: very important. During Seker Bayrami the religious holidays which ends the famous fasting month called Ramadan it is very hard to book a seat at bussus because of many soldiers, students and travelling Turks to their home places from various places of Turkey where they work or study.
The museums are closed only in the first day of the bayram
There is no train from Istanbul to Nevsehir but only bus and flight. The bus company is nevsehirliler or shortly Nevtur
there are 2 night buses to Nevsehir from Istanbul's EU Part
departure: 20:30 Arrival: 08:00
d. 21:00 a. 08.30

From Nevsehir to Istanbul
d. 20:00 a. 07:00

19th, 20th, 21st and 22ns of September are the days of Seker Bayrami
My nevsehir page:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7d696/c1d/
Don't die before visiting Turkey

scousemouse

Post by scousemouse » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 pm

I would just like to say that Cappadocia was beautiful in September. We arrived in the last week of September and although it was a little chilly at night the days were lovely, bright sunshine and warm, perfect for walking and nowhere was too busy.