Istanbul on the Kurban Bayrami

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

Jenna M

Istanbul on the Kurban Bayrami

Post by Jenna M » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 pm

I'll be in Istambul from 28th Nov to 1st Dec this year. This is during the Kurban Bayrami. I'm planning to see Sulthanamet and it's monuments but I'm afraid some will be closed. Where can I find out which will be open and at which days so I can plan my visit.
I'm planning to see:
Aya Sophia
Blue Mosque
Theodosius Obeliscos
Topkapi Palace
Grand Bazaar
Chora Church
Spice Market
Sunken Palace Cistern

Thank you,

How many stars? **: 0

Re: Istanbul on the Kurban Bayrami

Post by davcamp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello Jenna,
All those places should be open during holidays but you will want to stay away from mosques during call to prayer - especially on Friday's.
Aya Sophia - Closed Mondays
Blue Mosque - always open except prayer times
Hippodrome - never closes... it 's an outdoor square
Theodosius Obeliscos - same as Hippodrome
Topkapi Palace - Closed on Tuesday's
Grand Bazaar - always open
Chora Church - Closed on Wed.
Spice Market - always open
Sunken Palace Cistern - Open everyday

Re: Istanbul on the Kurban Bayrami

Post by ptemiz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Jenna, Two things. Firstly the places such as Topkapi Palace where an entry fee is normally charged will be free entry during the Bayram. This sounds good but reality is thousands of poorer Turks who cannot normally afford the entry fee all visit during Bayrams and places are packed making it hard to see what you came to see. Also I must disagree with the above post in that the Grand Bazaar may well be closed. I was in Istanbul for Seker Bayram last year and it was closed, also the Spice Bazaar. But he is right in that you can visit mosques although not during prayer times. Even if you miss the Bazaars you will still have a great time in Istanbul, guaranteed.