Getting Married in Turkey, but worried of what I need

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

AFRAID2MARRY

Getting Married in Turkey, but worried of what I need

Post by AFRAID2MARRY » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 pm

My name is Vicky and I am a US Citizen. I am planning to meet my fiance of 2 years in Istanbul, Turkey. My flight leaves on September 6 and I am very excited about this trip; however, I am very fearful that I may forget to bring the correct documentation with me to Turkey.

My fiance is an Iranian Citizen.

So far I was told to have these items with me:
- passport
- certified copy of my birth certificate abroad (i was born in Vietnam in 1970) Do i really need if I have my passport already?
- marriage license to be married from the state I live in (minnesota)
- certified copy of my divorce decree (divorced 10 years ago)

- Once I get to Istanbul, Turkey, I need to obtain an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form. ( Where do we need to go to get that form once we are in turkey?)
- Medical exam will be done in Turkey (where do we go for that?)

Also importantly, I was told I have to have all documents authenticated by my country? I am not sure what that means and where I take that to be done?

and, do I need all of documents translated into turkish?

I greatly appreciate your time and advice. I am very worried that I will not have what they need and this trip is an expensive one that I cannot afford to screw up once I get there.

Sincerely,

Vicky :?

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Getting Married in Turkey, but worried of what I need

Post by SwampeastMike » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Quite frankly, I would expect some skepticism from every country involved (Turkey, U.S. and Iran) as to the true purpose of the marriage with everyone involved assuming this to be an immigration scheme.

Do you have your U.S. marriage license? If not, I suspect that is the absolute first thing you must obtain.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the "certification by your country" statement means that the U.S. Federal government (likely the Department of State) must issue certification not only of authenticity but eligibility. If that is the case, unless your fiance is already eligible for some sort of visa to the U.S., my crash course in U.S. immigration law says that your chances are about zero.

It is rather sad, but it is a fact that the U.S. assumes not only that anyone who gains entry to the U.S. intends to stay indefinitely, but that they will lie in order to obtain a visa and that any U.S. citizen aiding them will also lie. It is a genuine case of "guilty until proven innocent".

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:19 am

By accident I happened across some info regarding marriage in Turkey.

Yes, all documents must be translated into Turkish and again certified as a true translation. Likely the best place to have this done would be through a lawyer in Turkey.

Since your fiance is from yet another country, he will require the same documents.

As to the medical examination: Since neither of you are Turkish and thus ineligible for state health care, I would suggest a private clinic.

I also checked a bit regarding Minnesota law and while proxy (only one person present) marriage licenses are possible, both parties require a U.S. social security number. If perhaps, it is possible for you to obtain a proxy license with a non-citizen his signature on the form will have to be notarized (in Iran I suppose) which will require yet more translations and very likely the involvement of the Iranian government.

Since you have very little time (bureaucracy wise) before your visit and little or no current paperwork, I would suggest that you just enjoy your time with your fiance and work towards obtaining the necessary documentation--perhaps years from now...

Perhaps you discovered the fact that Turkish law allows for marriages between citizens of two other countries and thought this would be easy. If so, you are sorely wrong especially when the other two countries are the U.S. and Iran.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:13 am

Since Iran (Persia) is yet another country that I would greatly enjoy visiting (VERY difficult at the present time) I research their laws.

I do hope that you understand that should your marriage be recognized by Iran that if you ever step foot in Iran that their government will consider you an Iranian citizen and the effective property of your husband. You or any children you share will not be able to leave Iran without your husband's permission.

A U.S. passport is an incredibly valuable document. Think long and hard before doing anything to put it in jeopardy!!!