Seeking sun in end november

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

Maribelandandy

Seeking sun in end november

Post by Maribelandandy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello . I am looking to go to turkey for a month from mid November with my husband and new 6 month old baby. The idea is to spend some nice family time somewhere warmer and with more sunlight than if we stay at home in London.
I had found a nice apartment in daylan, but husband would prefer near beach, so found another in kas that also is good value. We are used to travelling without booking in advance, staying where we like and moving on frequently, but with baby we are trying to book in advance.
The questions are:
What are kas & daylan like- we are happy to buy food in the Market and cook at home, but is it all going to be completely dead and rainy? Shall we go to Istanbul at the beginning or end- ie mid nov or mid dec?
Any suggestions as to other towns we should look at welcome.

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Seeking sun in end november

Post by SwampeastMike » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Unfortunately a month beginning in mid-November on the Mediterranean is likely to find quite a bit of rain and a very cool sea that may be very rough at times. The Med region is among the wettest in Turkey with the vast majority of the rain from November - March or so. At least it shouldn't be especially cold--just rather ugly at times. The tourist population will definitely be way down from its seasonal height.

In Instanbul at that time you can count on cold, dreary, windy and rainy weather.

The Bodrum peninsula has a drier microclimate than other coastal areas, but mid-November is definitely in their rainy season. The last two rainy seasons in Bodrum have been especially long and rainy.

DoraB

Post by DoraB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 am

Hello there.
I need your advice. I want to go to Turkey next month.
Is it going to be warm and sunny there?

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Turkey is a very large country with great climatic diversity. The Mediterranean coast will be the warmest in April and the chance of rain will be down but the sea will probably be very cool. In Istanbul you can expect reasonably warm days, cool evenings and some chance of rain. In the interior of the country, generally the greater the elevation the colder compared to the coasts. In general April/May are considered a good time to visit Turkey with moderate temperatures, decent weather and an especially attractive landscape.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Here's one of the best sources I've found for "typical" weather conditions year-round in a number of cities throughout Turkey:

http://weatherspark.com/averages/stations/Turkey

Do be aware that this winter in Turkey has been unusually cold and long-lasting in much of the country. The Northeast of the country is still bitterly cold.