Feb trip to Istanbul wid an 8 month old son

Weather, seasons, holidays, good and bad times

Moderator: sinan

fatima

Feb trip to Istanbul wid an 8 month old son

Post by fatima » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 am

Hi
I am new to this group and foundit while researching for my upcoming trip to istanbul in feb ( most likely from 9 to 14).
I will be travelling withmy hubby and 8 month old son. PLz help me plan my trip, where should i stay, wht to do and whr to go and how to commute. We plan on spending all 5 nights here only with keeping a relaxed routine as mybaby is small. Also plz advise how the weather will be? Nd hw mch warm clothes should we keep? Also i would love if sum1 would help me regarding my biggest concern of feeding my baby...are there mother rooms available.? How would i manage that...an early and quick reply will be highly appreciated aswe have very less dayson hand.
Thanks

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Feb trip to Istanbul wid an 8 month old son

Post by SwampeastMike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

re: weather

Expect cold (but not normally below freezing even at night), wet, raw, cloudy, often windy weather.

The Sultanhamet area of Istanbul is likely the best as it is very close to all of the major tourist sites.

The Turkish are very considerate, protective and supportive of children but I have no idea if there are "mother's rooms". I mean no offense, but I must question the wisdom of taking an infant on the trip--especially at that time of year to the hectic, noisy, rushed city of Istanbul. Istanbul streets and tourist sites are not well-suited to baby buggies ;)

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Feb trip to Istanbul wid an 8 month old son

Post by Tavsan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Fatima:

We just spent about 20 days there with our son who is almost 40 months old (3 years 3 months during our visit). We found Turkey fairly easy to navigate but Mike is right, strollers can be a problem though we didn't have any huge problems. Sultanahmet, where a lot of great sites are located has bumpy streets (they're old) and some curbs to navigate. With an 8 month old feeding might be an issue though Turks are so respectful of children I can't imagine it will be too difficult. Several times during our visit we had people randomly pick our son up and give him a big hug and a kiss. People assisted me (in highly crowded public places) with our stroller and one young woman plucked our son up on the stairs and carried him up to the top, smiled and went on her way. If you are nursing it might be a little more difficult but my guess is if you ask people they will help you find mother friendly rooms for feeding. Most larger grocery stores stock baby related items such as diapers but we brought a good supply with us. Sultanahmet is close to everything. We stayed at the Deniz Konak hotel. It is an old Ottoman style house converted into a hotel. Rooms on the back face the Sea of Marmara and the front simply face the street. A train travels its schedule until a certain hour every night outside the window but honestly it didn't disturb my sleep one bit. You could always ask for a room on the front of the hotel. Great staff and great breakfast there. We told them we heard about their hotel here on the TTP and they gave us a fruit basket for our room (Thanks Tom!) :) It's a modest hotel but I would certainly go back there again. Weather? Rainy and cold but not that bad. I had a sweater and a rather light jacket (insulated), and a hat in December/January and stayed fairly warm.

Enjoy your time in Turkey. Two great affordable restaurants in Sultahahmet are Doy Doy and the Rumist Cafe. The Rumist is a longer walk but totally worth it. The owner of the Rumist is most friendly. Doy Doy is just up the street from the Deniz Konak.

What to see in Sultanahmet: The Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Aya Sofya (Hagia Sofia), the underground Cistern, Hippodrome, Grand Bazaar, etc. Everything is right there. Taksim and historic Istiklal Caddesi is a bit of a distance away but not so bad by cab.

Have fun in Istanbul and enjoy your stay!

Tavsan

fatima

jan trip wid an 18 mnth old baby!

Post by fatima » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi
Ok so considering ur advices i dropped my travel plan thn and plannkng now again that my son is 19mnths mA! But ths time inj january, prolly nxt week. Considering all the advises given to me previously, is tnere anyth g else i have to keep in mind? Now my only concern is cold and rain..we will plan less activities with more leisure time, mayb indoors. Any more suggestions?

fatima

istanbul trip in jan-- help with hotels on sultanhamet.

Post by fatima » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 am

Also please suggest me few more hotels in sultanhamet..wich has gud view and is close to the attractions and eating places.