Caves in Turkey

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Caves in Turkey

Post by margaretp » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks David, yet more great info!!
I am very ashamed to admit that I haven't yet visited Karain cave and also Termessos - and they are so close for us!! But definitely will make these two this year (I 'save' our local sights to share with our visitors)

Carrie, have you found Beldibi cave, you must drive past it on your trips between Antalya and your hotel?
MPD

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Carrie, have you found Beldibi cave, you must drive past it on your trips between Antalya and your hotel?
I drive by it many times.....just before the first tunnel as you are leaving towards Kemer from Antalya...and have never had the time to stop and visit..however..I did last weekend take the time out to visit Phaselis...for the first time in 11 years..had never been..the closer you lice to a site the less chance you visit it..how strange eh...

I too have not visited the Karian cave..but hope to..I have bought myself a new camera so you will have to visit my photo pages from time to time to see the latest photos...I did recently add new photos of Mt. Tahatlı and Phaselis..but more to add on Phaselis...have to find the time..

PS..David you will have to get out this way and we can visit it together..or Margaret as well... 8)
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Carrie
So true what you said about 'local sights'. I'm very ashamed how little I know about my home area in UK. My excuse is always the weather!! but it really isn't valid, we have had some wonderful days this month for getting out and about, but I seem to have spent more time just web browsing and dreaming about being back in Turkey!!

Perhaps sometime we will all meet!!! but we may be disappointed.....

Hope Tom doen't feel we use his brilliant site as a social network rather than what he intended?
MPD

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri May 09, 2008 7:29 am

Turkish Daily news article

Altınbeşik cave a hidden beauty

Thursday, May 8, 2008

to read the entire article here in the link...

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php

The beauty of Altınbeşik Cave in the Mediterranean city of Antalya has always charmed its visitors with its rich flora and impressive landscape.

“Altınbeşik cave is one of the few caves of its kind in the world,” said İbradi District Governor Atay Uslu, who said the cave can also be reachd by boat. “Turkish and foreign scientists have carried out some studies in the cave and determined that only a 5 kilometer area of the cave can be visited. But it is estimated that the diameter of the cave is about 15 kilometers.”

The cave is comprised of three layers, the first one being full of water, Uslu said. He noted that the cave and its surrounding areas was made into a national park in 1992.

Altinbeşik Cave takes its name from Altinbeşik Hill, located on the upper side of the cave. This region of the Taurus mountain range has a very complex geological and geomorphologic structure with geological overlaps, large twists and deep valleys. The cave was carved into old limestone in the upper Creosote.
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm

"Within the scope of the this plan, the 1.5-kilometer footpath, which enables the access to the cave, will be rearranged. During the rearrangement process, nature should be protected. We will cover the path with natural stones. There will be social facilities and resting places on the path. Also, the cave will be lit up." From the TDN article.
"The cave is about 4km from the village (Ürünlü), and the road to the cave is really poor. The guide brings visitors to the cave entrance with his old 4WD. Do not try to drive this road in your own car, although this road was built only a few years ago, it is extremely poor. Before it was built, visitors had to hike to the cave for about an hour." From Show Caves website.
About here, I think.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Sounds great, for the adventurous! I wonder if it is accessible via D695? looks like it is from my map, about half way along the road to Ibradi. This is obviously a wonderful area for anyone interested in caves being no distance at all from Tinaztepe? David, will you make it on your next trip?
MPD

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Fri May 09, 2008 5:05 pm

margaretp wrote:David, will you make it on your next trip?
No, I'll save Pisidia and Pamphylia for another time.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:37 pm

I missed Tınaztepe by less than a mile where the road from Bozkır (42-59) meets the D695 (but it was probably closed at the time I went past).
I was amazed by the beautiful village of Dereköy on that road - wooden buildings nestling in a mountain valley.
And 2 weeks previously I'd been too early for Zindan Cave's opening time.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:22 pm

I've found a photo of Beldibi Cave on the net. I wonder if you can see anything there.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Cave at Tınaztepe 1800 meters on the Manavgat-Konya Highway. Pic from my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Manavgat-Konya highway
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 735&type=3

Adrasan/Antalya
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 735&type=3
Don't die before visiting Turkey