18 hans and other sites

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

18 hans and other sites

Post by David Morgan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:31 pm

I've just finished my trip. I rented a car in Kaleici, Antalya, and did the circuit via Eğirdir to Cappadocia and then down to the coast (staying at Kızkalesi, Alanya and Side) and back to Antalya in 17 days and 3600 kilometres.

Here's a map of the sites I visited.
Last edited by David Morgan on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Morgan

Re: 18 hans and other sites

Post by David Morgan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 pm

I realise now that the car rental was an expensive part of my trip. I spent 880TL on fuel, when the rental cost 850TL (plus traffic fine - 105TL).

It works out at about 10 miles per litre, which is pretty good economy. It was a Fiat Doplo diesel, I think it only had a 1.3 litre engine.

At Evdir Han. And a little dirtier by the time I got to Sultan Han.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Yes, travel by rental car gets expensive in Turkey.

Your cost comes to about 0.5 Turkish lira (about $0.30) per kilometer.

My 5,500 kilometers over 27 days in a Renault Megane diesel came in at about 0.6 Turkish lira (about $0.35) per kilometer--about $1850 total. I averaged about 5.3 liters per 100 kilometers fuel economy (about 44 MPG).

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 am

After my last trip I've become more intrigued by the wonderful Seljuk architecture (especially the lovely carvings on the doorways). I've got a copy of the book The Seljukid Sultanate of Rum, so I really ought to hole up in Konya for a few days, reading it and visiting the stuff there, I reckon.

I've been a bit casual in regards to this aspect of Turkish history before. For example, I didn't even bother to walk over to Kesikköprü Han when I stopped to take a photo of the bridge there in '08, because it looked too reconstructed (I now realise that most of them are like that).

P.S. Some good pages about them here:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/arch ... cture.html
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/deta ... ljuks.html
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/arch ... erais.html

YakupYildirim

Post by YakupYildirim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 am

David,

What do you reckon about economycarrentals.com?

I understand from looking at your previous postings that you've been to the valleys of old Phrygia. What sort of money for petrol do you think I'd be looking at if I were to hire a car (and drop it off) in Eskisehir for one day and visit--say--Kumbet, Yazilikaya (including Kucuk Yazilikaya), Anitkaya, Susuzosmaniye, Beykoy, Bayramaliler and Ayazani?

Would it be wise to rent a car that runs on diesel instead of one that runs on petrol? Are diesel pumps sufficiently common in the area?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm likely to be up against, and you seem to be the principal authority here on driving in Turkey.

YY

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Sorry, YakupYildirim, I'm no expert on car rental, I've only done it once. Diesel is found at every filling station. With a small diesel car you'll probably get about 15km per litre consumption.

My preferred mode of transport is motorbike - I've rented motorbikes in Turkey 4 times and ridden my own from England 3 times.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

YakupYildirim:

I've rented cars in Turkey on numerous occasion and driven all over the country.

I recommend you find a small rental firm in Eskişehir. Every rental company I've checked via the internet has very high prices. For a single day you may well find a very good price on an older vehicle that they would be reluctant to use for a long-term and long-haul rental.

Diesel fuel costs less, but the same vehicle with a diesel engine costs more to rent. I do recommend a diesel for a long rental involving lots of highway driving, but for a single day, you're unlikely to realize and meaningful savings but you still have the disadvantage of a general lack of quickness of a Diesel. By U.S. standards Turkish cars are small and severely underpowered.

YakupYildirim

Post by YakupYildirim » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:43 am

David,

Thanks for the reply and the tips on fuel consumption. A motorbike would be great, but they're a bit difficult to transport to Turkey from Australia!

Mike,

Thanks also for your reply.

economycarrentals.com have a diesel powered, automatic-transmission Ford Focus or Hyundai Accent for 51 euros per day, all in. A petrol powered, manual-transmission Accent is 44 euros. I'm contemplating hiring an automatic because I'm not at all used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road...

Do these seem decent daily rates to you? Would you go for the petrol powered vehicle rather than the diesel-powered in this instance (I estimate I will have 100-150 km to cover in a day)?

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:29 pm

I paid about 35 EUR per day (including insurance) last year for a Renault Megane turbo Diesel. Very similar the year before for a Ford Focus Diesel. Both rented from smaller agencies. About 20 EUR for a smaller, gasoline powered car. This was for a fairly long-term rental (3-4 weeks) so I presume there was some discount compared to a day or two. I also request and receive somewhat of a "beater"--some scuffs, scratches, dings, etc.--as I have a tendency to take tiny mountain roads and encounter MUCH road construction with temporary roads worse than the little mountain roads.

I'd suggest that you do some research about experience with economycarrentals.com in Turkey. I seem to recall that they are not the best. Also be aware that just because you reserve an automatic does not mean that one will be available. They are quite rare in Turkey. The agencies I've used have exactly zero automatics.

Before renting, do read the page at this site regarding Turkish Driving Habits. A distressing number of drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road. If you're not especially comfortable or familiar with driving on the "right" side, it may be rather confusing ;) If just for a day or two, you might want to consider hiring a taxi for the day.

YakupYildirim

Post by YakupYildirim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:45 am

Thanks very much for your advice, Mike.

I will proceed cautiously with economycarrentals.com and consider renting on the spot instead.

All the best.

YY