Kibyra

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Kibyra

Post by David Morgan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 am

They've been excavating this site for the last 5 years and it's looking very impressive now. Apparently the mosaic that's been uncovered outside the bouleuterion/odeon is the "world's largest" (?).
It's in a lovely setting overlooking Gölhisar which is about half way between Pamukkale and Fethiye, so would make a nice break on that route.
Here are some photos that I took in early September 2012.

In the news:
World's largest mosaic structure uncovered in Kibyra.
Undamaged Ancient Bath Found In Kibyra.

sally

Re: Kibyra

Post by sally » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Kibyra looks very interesting. We are staying in a big Beldibi hotel for three weeks in Nov/Dec but are thinking of breaking out for a few days. Where did you stay? It looks as though there might be a hotel in Golhisar.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi, Sally. I did it as a day trip from Kayaköy - up to Çameli and then over to Gölhisar and back via Altınyayla to the D350.

Looks like the only hotel in Gölhisar is the Beyhan - http://www.beyhanotel.4t.com/ - it's a nice town.

If you're "breaking out for a few days", maybe stay in Burdur too, I think the museum has stuff from Kibyra (and Sagalassos).

sally

Post by sally » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you. We will go. The hotel website may contain a Trojan horse which has surely strayed too far east!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Worth having a quick look at the 7th millennium BC Kuruçay Höyük as well, if you're in that region. Also with finds in Burdur Museum.
I still haven't made it to Burdur Museum, although I've tried twice - once on a Monday (closed) and once at lunch time (closed). One day I guess I'll get to see it, apparently it's pretty amazing.

I tried to find Hacilar as well, but apparently it's been ploughed away, but also finds from there in the Burdur Museum.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

I've just heard from Jeanne at Villa Rhapsody that when she just visited Kibyra recently the mosaic is being covered up for the next 5 years while they continue excavations.

I'm a little bit worried that "excavation" really means reconstructive Disneyfication like at Patara's bouleuterion (if you've been to Newgrange in Ireland, you'll understand). When I visited Kibyra this year, Ludwig Mayer, an epigrapher from the German Archaeological Institute in Istanbul who showed my round, hinted at such.

I thought the reconstructions of all the Hans was a bit over the top, but it looks like the really ancient stuff is undergoing the same make-overs now.

sally

Re: Kibyra and Rhodiapolis (Kumluca)

Post by sally » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm

We have just returned from three weeks at Beldibi. We wanted to visit Kibyra and I think there would have been daily buses going direct from Antalya but when I looked at the forecast it was snowing hard up there so we stayed down looking up at the snow while we swam in the warm sea.

We did go to Rhodiapolisa which was excellent apart from over zealous sheepdogs. We drove and I was very glad that I had studied Google maps beforehand as we saw no signs for it.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I haven't visited Rhodiapolis, it seems that they've been excavating there as well - http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/defaul ... 2010-06-23

Looks like a nice theatre. Well done for finding it, it does appear tricky to get to. Did you have to go round and approach it from the west?

sally

Post by sally » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 am

We approached in a big loop through a maze of little lanes between polythene greenhouses. When we saw anyone, we said 'antik kent?' Coming away from the site a typically helpful Turk led us back to the main road.

David Morgan

Re: Rhodiapolis

Post by David Morgan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am

Another article about Rhodiapolis - Archaeologists uncover Lycian tomb complex in Turkey.