Suggestions wanted for Sanliurfa and Gaziantep

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

sally

Suggestions wanted for Sanliurfa and Gaziantep

Post by sally » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Five of us, all 68+, are flying from Izmir to Urfa and back from Antep spending ten days at the end of April.

We want to visit Göbekli Tepe (does anyone know how to get there other than by taxi or hire car?).

Rumkale looks magnificent on Google Earth but I'm not sure that it can actually be visited due to new dams and water projects. Is there a hotel nearby and how would we get there? To try to fit it in on our way from Urfa to Antep might be too rushed.

Any suggestions for what to see or where to stay would be welcome.

oma

Re: Suggestions wanted for Sanliurfa and Gaziantep

Post by oma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Contact Alison Tanik, Nomad Tours Turkey, www.nomadtoursturkey.com Read Lonely Planet. Check Trip Advisor. Assume you've looked at State Department postings.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by David Morgan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:01 am

Every Sunday there is a boat tour run by Gaziantep municipality that goes to Rumkale:
http://www.gaziantepdebirgemi.com/index.php/turlar.html

I'm not sure if you actually disembark at Rumkale, maybe you only get to see it from the water.

I think tour/taxi/car is the only way to Göbekli Tepe, it's about 8km from the main road, and there doesn't appear to be a junction nearby off the new motorway (O-52) that passes it.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 pm

sally

Post by sally » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the info. The Sunday trip to Rumkale looks a good possibility but google translate could not make much sense of it. I will ask a Turkish speaking friend.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm

A Turkish friend staying here for the winter confirmed that there is no public transportation to Göbekli Tepe. It's about 35 km from Şanlıurfa and he suspects the cost for a taxi (round trip plus 30 minutes - 1 hour waiting time) to be about $100. He suggesting inquiring at your hotel for a suggested taxi. Rental and fuel for a small, simple car should cost somewhat less unless you do other driving. Gasoline is about $10 per gallon! Rental for a day should be about $30-$50--again for a small, basic, older car.

While probably already on your list, do not miss the Mosaic Museum in Gaziantep! It is utterly amazing!