Itinerary suggestions wanted: Antalya - Izmir, 7 days

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

mainemal

Itinerary suggestions wanted: Antalya - Izmir, 7 days

Post by mainemal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 pm

My SO and I are headed for Turkey in April, and plan to make our way from Antalya to Izmir by bus over the course of 6-7 days. Any and all suggestions for best destinations, small hotels/lodges, food, "don't miss" and the like will be much appreciated!

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Itinerary suggestions wanted: Antalya - Izmir, 7 days

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 am

Do you want a coastal or inland route?

If coastal, I would suggest working your way south and then west to Fethiye. There are innumerable places to visit along the coast to occupy yourself for a week even if the sea will still be cool. If you move fairly quickly you could easily include either Pamukkale and Aphrodiasis or Müğla and/or Bafa Lake.

If inland, I would suggest the "lake district" north of Antalya to certainly include Eğirdir near Isparta, possibly Konya and then Pamukkale and Aphrodiasis. There are many beautiful, natural things to see and do in the lake district but, alas, such can be difficult with public transportation--that's why I included Konya where you should spend one night and the best part of two days minimum.

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Itinerary suggestions wanted: Antalya - Izmir, 7 days

Post by Tavsan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Fethiye and Bodrum are nice. Should be less crowded when you are there. Bodrum has a great museum devoted to underwater archaeology. It is also a site of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World but not much remains of it. Once in Izmir I would recommend staying at the Kilim Otel. The Park Hotel is interesting as well. Of course if you can see Ephesus, do. I also recommend checking out the Agora in Izmir. Dinner at Topcu across from the hotel, Oz Sut just further up the street for something sweet and yummy after dinner. Asansor if you want to go all out (it has a great view).

Tavsan