pollution probs looking for alt sites

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

k and j

pollution probs looking for alt sites

Post by k and j » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

We are in the middle of our trip. Unfortunately I have been laid liw by pollution and need suggestions on places in turkey that have good air quality to recover.

We started in istanbul whichwas wonderful though I would rate air quality as poor. We then went to safranbol for thee days. They hadregular air quality warnings. From my perspective it was far worse than istanbul. We thought thag maybe amasra would be better and it is though thefirst thing we hear when we arrive is air quality warning.

Unfortunately my reserves are depleated. I purchased a mask but what I really need is a few days randr.

Dont get me wrong turkey is a wonderful country and people try hard to help. Unfortunately I have not had to deal with this extreem of a problem while travelling in the past.PEople in turkey seem to have difficulties comorehending the problem.

Our original schedule is ankara for 7 days with trips to polatli bogazkale bey perasi
Goreme for 7 days with day trips, konya for 5 days with a day trip to catalhuyuk antaiya for 5 days then three days in istanbul to do the shopping. Returning on mar 12.

We areopen to revising with the last 3 nights in istanbu, being somewhat important. Any suggestionswould be appreciated, probablybigger is easier as they understand what non smiking means and with some difficulty what no perfume means. Intwrestingly we seem to have better luck with liwer end hotels

Thanks to tom for producing this wonderful site

Karl and jennifer

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: pollution probs looking for alt sites

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:13 am

If air quality is your concern I would suggest forgetting about Ankara! While I've only visited Turkey in the fall, I would suggest Cappadocia as the closest area to find some nice, clean air. Do though expect it to be rather cold.

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Beypazari is a quaint little town far enough outside Ankara to escape the bad air quality. Bolu is a nice area between Istanbul and Ankara. Cappadocia would probably be the best place to recover though. Stop at a Turkish pharmacy and see if you can't get some meds if dealing with allergies or respiratory "stuff" and don't feel bad about it. Istanbul will wreck anyone's breathing. My allergies go crazy in Istanbul. Pharmacies have saved me more than once. I now travel prepared including a bottle of saline spray for my sinuses.

Good Turkish soup is medicinal I think :D Order red lentil soup, cay, and bread. Manti is another good recovery food for me, Turkish comfort food. That should help restore you! Safe travels!

Tavsan

k and j

Post by k and j » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 am

I think we have missed beypazari. There will be a wailing and nashing of teeth. We got rhe note on Ankara while on the bus to Ankara. We were assurd that it wasnt so bad by locals. Arrived saturday and you know what it wasnt so bad.

I should add that by this time we managed food poising. Slept 16 hrs. Monday came and we hilailed it out of there as fast as w could. Went ro goreme and talked to herritage travel. They recommended a hotel which was wonderful. Sounds like cave hotels are out. Got some antibiotics and the best night sleep I have had air quality ways in turkey, I am in a much better frame of mind.

We will redesign our trip with the helo of herritage travel later today.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Good that you got in touch with Turkish Heritage Travel, an excellent company, and a TTP partner:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/tour ... index.html

It sounds like you may have a sensitivity to air pollutants/particulates. It's unfortunate that you visited Turkey in the coldest month of the year, when heating fuel is burned most intensely.

Turkey has abundant reserves of lignite (soft brown coal). It is the traditional heating fuel in much of the country, particularly the smaller cities. It is a terrible pollutant. The pollution in the biggest cities (Istanbul & Ankara) used to be so bad it would blot out the sun. The government put in a natural gas pipeline from Russia, and now those cities are heated mostly by cleaner natural gas, but smaller cities may still burn a lot of lignite.

In small towns, the fuel may be lignite or heavy oil or kerosene/paraffin or wood, or even tezek (dried dung from herbivores [horses, cattle, etc.]), all of which may irritate sensitive respiratory systems.

The solution is to flee to a place with a warmer climate, or stay in a section of Istanbul or Ankara where prevalent winds come from a clean area (off the sea, for example: Çeşme and Bodrum spring to mind). Or return to Turkey in May, when the heating season is over.

Tom Brosnahan