Eastern Black Sea

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

threebee

Eastern Black Sea

Post by threebee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm

I am planning a trip, with my husband, mostly to explore the area East, West & North of Trabzon.

We start in Amasya & want to travel to Bayburt to visit the Baski Museum there. I believe there is a bus that travels this route.
We'd love to stop in Atakoy to see the Hapsıyaş Bridge but are not sure how to make this happen.
Then where? Uzungol? Ayder?
Again I'd love to see the Borabay Gölüç

As it is just after the long Ramasan I am concerned that many places will be booked so am reluctant to take pot luck when we turn up.

Anyone any tips to offer. After we have completed this trip I will gladly share our experiences!

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Eastern Black Sea

Post by SwampeastMike » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:43 am

I'm far from an expert on buses in Turkey as I've enjoyed private transportation when touring.

That said, I'm quite aware of major routes taken by buses and I doubt that you will find anything direct between Amasya and Bayburt. The quickest way I see is via Trabzon which puts both Hapsıyaş Bridge and Üzüngöl along the secondary route to Bayburt.

The last four years have found me in Turkey for the holidays at the end of Ramadan. Given the dates this year I advise against long-distance public transportation travel between 25-30 July and 1 Aug with the exception of 29 July. I was never able to reserve one- or two-night accommodation at any price level in any location or hotel preferred by the Turkish during that holiday--even when using a Turkish travel agent and with months of advance notice.

Given the timing this year I suspect that Üzüngöl will be completely booked by Turkish families from the end of Ramadan to the beginning of school sometime in September.

threebee

Re: Eastern Black Sea

Post by threebee » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Many thanks for your helpful reply - I have been without the internet for a while so have only just picked up your message.

I think we will leave Ayder for another trip.