Southeast Turkey ? ? ?

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

JaneJ
How many stars? **: 0

Southeast Turkey ? ? ?

Post by JaneJ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am

Is anyone in Sanliurfa right now (Sept 22)? I have plans to be in Midyat, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Antakya In late October. Just wondering what's happening vis a vis ISIS.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Re: Southeast Turkey ? ? ?

Post by turkeytom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Hmmm... I hope you get an answer from someone in Urfa. I myself would not venture to that area right now, not just because of the unpredictability of violent incidents, but because Urfa and vicinity are reportedly overcrowded with refugees. Also, foreigners traveling to that area might be held in suspicion by the Turkish authorities, who may suspect motives other than tourism.

Tom Brosnahan

JaneJ

Post by JaneJ » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks Tom. I am now emailing with several Urfa locals who report that for now the city is OK. No promises, of course. I am watching the news and continuing contact with the locals. Possibly I'll rearrange and see more in western Turkey instead.

JaneJ

Post by JaneJ » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:13 am

I just received an email from a contact in Diyarbakir (Tuesday, October 7, 2:30 pm MDT) Until today he said that all was fine in his city other than an occasional protest.

Today's email says:
"I never thought things would go into a chaos. Now in many eastern cities like Diyarbakır it is banned to be in the street. There are several deaths in the city. It is burning like hell .. Don't come."

The BBC and other new outlets are reporting protests around Turkey, many violent. Let's hope these resolve soon.

Unless something miraculous happens I will stay in western Turkey and follow my Plan B itinerary.

Travel safe everyone.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am

Yes, there were reports of civil disturbances in Diyarbakır, Van, and some other cities. The cause, at least in part, seems to be Kurdish citizens protesting what they perceive as the government's policy of supporting those groups fighting in Syria which oppose the Syrian government led by President Bashar al-Assad, instead of supporting groups that oppose ISIL (ISIS, Islamic State), because ISIL is battling to gain control of the mostly-Kurdish Syrian city of Kobane, near the Turkish border.

In short, Kurdish citizens of Turkey appear to want their government to make more effort to protect Syrian Kurds—at least that's what I seem to get from the news reports.

In any case, it would not be a good time to visit some places in southeastern Turkey. There's lots worth seeing there, but it will be there next year, when the situation may be calmer.

I had planned to travel to Van in a few weeks, and I was looking forward to going back there, but now I have postponed that visit and will spend my time in Istanbul and Cappadocia.

Watch for updates on the TTP Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/TurkeyTravelPlanner

Tom Brosnahan