Antalya public transportation update

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

jamesjames

Antalya public transportation update

Post by jamesjames » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 pm

I hope this will help other travelers avoid the bit of transportation confusion I experienced in Antalya. There is good information in the Antalya section of the website, but here are a few added details.

From the airport the city bus (#600) takes you to the otogar. It is 4TL (as of Nov14), and the trip takes about one hour. You can pay the driver in cash. If you want to take the tram from the otogar the location of the tram stop is not obvious. As you are facing the otogar, walk around to the right-hand side. There is a small parking lot there. Go through this lot to find the escalator entrance to the tram. You cannot use cash for the tram. You need to purchase a card to ride the tram (3TL) plus whatever added value you want to put on the card for your transportation needs. A one way trip is 1,40TL. Here is the problem: you have to purchase the card before 7pm from a kiosk, as there are no card vending machines. If you arrive too late to purchase a card for the tram, and are going to the old city (i.e. Hadrian's Gate/Kale Kapısı or the Karaalioğlu Parkı area) you can take the #93 bus for 2TL (cash is fine); the ride is about 45 minutes. The city bus stop at the otogar is at the far left end (as you are looking at the otogar).

If you want to take public transportation to Lara Plajı (the beach east of the city center), take the #8 bus (2TL). You can board this bus on Atatürk Caddesi, which is the main road running in front of the old city/Kale Kapısı. There is a terminal stop for buses at the entrance to the beach. It is about a 40 minute ride. It is a nice beach, excellent for a swim (even in early November!) but there is the occasional dog, so do watch your step on the beach. On the return trip, once back in the city center this bus travels on a road parallel to, and a few blocks north of Atatürk Caddesi. You might want to get a few visual landmarks so you know where to get off the bus on the return trip.

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Antalya public transportation update

Post by turkeytom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks for this. I've had other mentions of the AntRay tram fare card booths closing early, leaving newly-arrived travelers without a way to ride the tram. I've updated the Antalya transport pages accordingly:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/m ... lya/trans/

Tom Brosnahan

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Antalya public transportation update

Post by David Morgan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:58 pm

The old 600A bus from the airport via Lara and the centre to the ship port is now the 800 bus:
http://www.antalya-ulasim.com/800.html

It might be possible to take this and connect with the nostaljik tram at its southern terminus on the junction of Tevfik Işık Cd and Metin Kasapoğlu Cd.