Travel time from Ataturk airport to Sultanahmet

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

First-class-art

Travel time from Ataturk airport to Sultanahmet

Post by First-class-art » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello. We are flying in to Ataturk airport in July for a 20 hour stopover before flying out again from the same airport. We would very much like to visit the old city, the blue mosque and the grand bazar. The problem is we arrive at 6pm. We are thinking of booking an airport transfer and staying in one of the hotels in Sultanahmet but are unsure of how much time we will have based on traffic congestion affecting the airport transfer and what time these places close for tourists.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Travel time from Ataturk airport to Sultanahmet

Post by turkeytom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 pm

Yours is a good plan.

1. Traffic depends on exactly which day you arrive and depart. If it's Sunday, trafflc should be light. If it's the day before a holiday, it could be fearsome.

2. You can use any means to get into the city, but to get back to the airport for your flight, you should consider using a professional transfer service, because they monitor traffic and will tell you when you must leave to be sure of catching your flight. For international departures, you should be at the airport at least two hours before flight time. Here's the service I recoomend. There are others: http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... k_xfr.html

3. If you need a visa to visit Turkey, get it online before you fly:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/deta ... index.html

4. What you can see on the morning after you arrive will also depend on the exact day. The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sunday, Hagia Sophia on Monday, Topkapı Palace on Tuesday, The Chora Church on Wednesday. Look up what you want to see and be sure it will be open, or find an alternative.

Happy travels!

Tom Brosnahan (in Istanbul at the moment)

First-class-art

Post by First-class-art » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:22 pm

Thank you Tom. We arrive on Thursday 14th July at 6pm and need to be back at the airport by 6.45am the following day for an 8.45am flight to London. Is Friday 15th a holiday?

We had looked at Efendi Gravel for airport transfer, but will look at your suggestion too.

Can anyone recommend a good mid priced hotel in the old town?

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Post by turkeytom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:41 pm

We arrive on Thursday 14th July at 6pm and need to be back at the airport by 6.45am the following day for an 8.45am flight to London.
That apears to be 12 hours, not 20. If you arrive at the airport at 6pm, by the time you clear Immigration and Customs and get to the city center, all of the sights will be closed. You can always visit the mosques (until the last call to prayer), and you can see the Hippodrome and take a ferry ride across the Bosphorus, but all the museums, etc. will be locked tight.
Is Friday 15th a holiday?
Not that I know.
We had looked at Efendi Gravel for airport transfer, but will look at your suggestion too.
My suggestion is for Efendi Travel :D Great minds work alike.
Can anyone recommend a good mid priced hotel in the old town?
Here's my short list: http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... otels.html

Lots more are available through Booking.com: http://www.booking.com/city/tr/istanbul.html?aid=314603

I can't speak for July, but right now lots of hotels are closed for lack of business, and the ones that are open are offering very reduced promotional rates. You should be able to get a fine price.

Tom Brosnahan