Sightseeing from Sirince

Comments on lodgings near Ephesus: Selçuk, Kusadasi, Izmir and nearby towns

Moderator: sinan

myasha

Sightseeing from Sirince

Post by myasha » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:38 pm

We will be staying In Sirince for 3 nights, 4 days in Sept. Any recommendations on where to visit, besides Ephesus? I read about a village called Tire. Has anyone been there?
Myasha

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Post by carrie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi myasha,

You will have a great time. I just came back from this area a few days ago ( we stayed in Selcuk ) Besides Ephesus of course are the sightseeing places of the Basillica of St John the Baptist, Temple of Artemis, The church and house of the Virgin Mary and the caves of the 7 Sleepers.

Will you be renting a car ?? if so you can visit these areas really easy and the roads are well marked.

If you drive south towards Didem you can visit 3 important history sites of Priene, Miletus, and Didyma. Further south is Baffa Lake and Euromus ( Temple of Zeus )

In Sirince you also have old ottoman houses and great wine vinyards !!! They have a wine festival in October !!

Or go the other direction and visit Izmir for a day trip. Or inland towards Aydin and even Pamukkale.

I made copies of Tom's pages and we used them as a guide to the places we visited. You will find these pages useful to help plan your trip.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/A ... index.html

I found this about Tire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire,_Turkey

Tire is a district of İzmir Province of Turkey.

It is one of the largest towns in the area and is situated 82 km. southeast of İzmir. It at the foot of the Aydin Mountains. Its long cultural heritage includes periods under the Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, Persians, Romans and Byzantines, and it developed its strong links with the economy during the Ottoman period. The town has an attractive old quarter with many impressive examples of Islamic architecture, and a lively Tuesday market influenced by the Roma population in the surrounding villages. Also famous is Tire kebab, one of the most delicious food in town.

Here are some great photos of the Tire area. http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/tire

Have a nice time we did !!!

Carrie

myasha

Post by myasha » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:01 pm

Carrie,

Thanks so much for your useful info. We'll definitely do the Priene/Miletus/Didyma, and Tire. Your pictures on Tire are great!
Myasha

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi again myasha,

Those photos are some that I found on the internet and are not mine but I thought they were nice and might give you an idea of the area of Tire.

We did not visit this area but maybe next time if we are in the Selcuk area. You will have to let us know once you visit.

But here are MY PHOTOS from my recent trip last week and you are getting a sneak preview as I am not completely finished up-loading all my shots. I still have more to do but it takes some time. Please do not judge however the quaility of my camera. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

Carrie

travelbug

Re: Sightseeing from Sirince

Post by travelbug » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am

Just wanted to add that Sirince is a delightful village to walk around. My only regret is that I forgot I could not take wine (which they make in Sirince and sell in the markets) on the airplane due to liquid restrictions. I had bought a bottle to bring home for my son as a gift and it was confiscated at the airport since we had only carry on luggage. - June

davcamp1

Re: Sightseeing from Sirince

Post by davcamp1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm