Stay in Selcuk or Izmir as base?

Comments on lodgings near Ephesus: Selçuk, Kusadasi, Izmir and nearby towns

Moderator: sinan

mardee1000
How many stars? **: 0

Stay in Selcuk or Izmir as base?

Post by mardee1000 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out where to base myself. I'm in Turkey right now - I'm leaving Goreme tonight for Olympos/Cirali and will be staying along the coast until Monday or Tuesday. I have to be back in Istanbul by Thursday so I was thinking I would fly from Izmir.

However, I also want to see Ephesus while I'm there and possibly Pamakkule. Since I have to leave from Izmir, I was thinking it might be better to get a hotel there for a couple of nights and just do day trips to Ephesus, etc. rather than heading to Selcuk and then having to go on to Izmir. I hate schlepping luggage around.

Any thoughts? Also, if I go with Izmir does anyone have any Izmir hotel recs in the 30-45 Euro range?

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi just a quick reply here from me. I think you are much better off staying in Selcuk instead of Izmir because one there are no decent mid priced hotels there as well as most places in Selcuk can offer a transfer for your flights out of Izmir. There is a shuttle I believe but I am not 100% about that. Also you can always take a taxi. It has been written many times that the distance to the airport from Izmir from the city center not a great deal longer than getting to the airport from Selcuk.

We stayed at the Akay Hotel in Selcuk and I would imagine that the owners there could really help you out with your transportation. Ask to speak to Diamond and tell him Carrie from Cirali ( Canada Hotel ) sent you.

http://www.hotelakay.com/
0090 232 892 3172

I just called them for you on your behalf and yes they do transfers to the Izmir airport and the cost is 80 turkish liras and the travel time is about 45-50mins.

hope this helps 8)
Carrie

PS this is also one of the hotels recommended by Tom in his travel pages for Selcuk acommodations and that was one of the reasons we choose to stay there back in Feb.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/A ... index.html

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks, Carrie! I'll actually be in your neck of the woods tomorrow morning sometime and may be giving you a call as I will need a place to stay. I checked out your website and saw the prices but it looks like you charge a single supplement - can you tell me how much it is? (Feel free to PM me if needed). I'm taking the 9 pm bus from Goreme tonight to Antalya and from there to Olympus/Cirali.

I did check out the Hotel Akay website, however I could not find the prices listed anywhere. I've emailed them and will hopefully hear back soon. Thanks again for your help.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Thu May 10, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi mardee1000,

You might not recieved this message in time as I have just gotten in and it is now past 8:30 pm. You are probably at the bus station about now. Also we are unable to send PM messages on the TTP anymore so if you can please send me a direct email for your questions I would be more than happy to reply. I would recommend that you call the Akay hotel directly and that is why I added their phone number.

Have a safe travel.

Carrie

Maybe we will see you tomorrow :D

mayyang3

Re: Stay in Selcuk or Izmir as base?

Post by mayyang3 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:47 am

Hi

I have almost the same concern here as Mardee. My friends and I have already purchased our plane tickets from Izmir to Antalya in Oct. As the plane leaves in the early morning (08:15 a.m.), we are afraid that we will not be able to find transportation to the airport so early if we stay in Selcuk. According to Carrie's mail below, the distance from Izmir city center to the airport, however, is almost the same as that from Selcuk. What about Kusadasi? Would it be a better choice? Does anyone know if Selcuk hostels provide transportaion services to the airport early in the morning? I think we need to get to the airport at 6:45 a.m., and that means we have to leave at 5:30 a.m.(?)

davcamp1

Post by davcamp1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Hello,
Just got back from Izmir, Selcuk, Ephesus.
I am sure you can take your luggage, stay in Selcuk, grab a minibus in the early morning back to Izmir airport.

From Izmir airport take a taxi to main road and catch a mini-bus to Selcuk for 50 minutes exact at 8YTL. In Selcuk stay at a hotel. (I stayed 2 blocks from Selcuk gargage at Urkmez Hotel at 30 YTL meals included! http://web.mac.com/dav_camp/Site_7/Selcuk-Ephesus.html

From Selcuk to Ephesus ride a mini-bus for 8 minutes at 3YTL.
From Selcuk ride mini-bus for 20 min to Kusadasi at 4YTL.

davcamp
Last edited by davcamp1 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayyang3

Post by mayyang3 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 am

Hi

Thanks a lot. That will certainly solve our problem!

May

davcamp1

Post by davcamp1 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:13 pm

May,
Urkmez hotel is a blast! at 8:30 they serve a huge meal with drinks, break out the karaoke,
play good music. Air conditioning is wonderfull!
davcamp