ShoeString in Göreme

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

ShoeString in Göreme

Post by Marta » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:24 pm

I would suggest ShoeString as a good pension cave to stay in Göreme. People is very nice and they help you plan your excursions, walks,... Maybe they're a litle like a "travel agency" since after arriving they tell you all you can do in Capadoccia, all the tours you can join... but they don't push you anymore. Moreover, if you book it from them you can get some discounts.

I just have to mention the fact that it's not as clean as I would like it to be. It's not dirty but... hey, we were in Capadoccia, in a cave, and a very cheap one, 8 euro per night per person!!!

If you have any questions, do not hesitate.

Post by Rony » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Marta,
Why not write a travellar's report detailing your experience in Turkey? I am sure we all will enjoy reading your report. Cheers.

How many stars? **: 0

Post by starrsy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:56 am

I can also recommend Shoestring. I took my mom with me last June - her first trip, my sixth. Mom really wanted to stay in a cave room. The rooms were pretty good, plenty of hot water. They had a patio area where breakfast was served. They offered a selection for breakfast, many hotels only have one set menu. I had the "meneman" (not sure the spelling is right) but it is a scramble of eggs and onions and peppers that is cooked in a small clay dish and then served to you still sizzling. They had a great internet connection and I was able to download my photo card and burn it to a CD....thereby letting me reuse the card for more photos. Hassan is a great host and all his staff are very helpful. While I was there, I watched them building a wall higher up on the property where Hassan has bought an adjoining bit of land. It was interesting to see the men building a traditional stone wall...right next to a high tech solar hot water tank... On the last morning, I woke up to a strange hissing noise and walked out of the room to see hot air balloons overhead. They were gorgeous. The door lock mechanism was very interesting - sort of a old fashioned wooden bolt combined with a metal rod and padlock. I must have taken 10 pictures of the door alone. In the reception area, they have a TV with satelitte service. When we got back late one night the on-duty receptionist was surfing channels and had gotten stuck on a bible-thumping church service - with a woman evangelist....I took one look and burst out laughing so hard. I'm sure I confused the poor receptionist, but the dicotomy of being in such an exotic location and seeing a US religious program was too much for me...or maybe it was the raki I had drunk earlier at the Turkish Night dinner and show. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the time in Goreme and so did my mom. It was a great time and very memorable.

So, if you are going to Goreme, stop at Shoestring, enjoy your stay and tell Hassan that Starr sends her greetings!
Moderation in all things....including moderation

Shoestring rates?

Post by sean1980be » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi all,

Shoestring looks really interesting.

I'd love to go there in September, but I can't seem to find any rates... I've checked their website but there is not a lot of information on it on prices...

Also, I've never rode a horse before (I am european :p), but I'd love to do that horseback riding tour... Is this something I will be able to do, unexperienced as I am?

Kind regards,

David Morgan

Re: Shoestring rates?

Post by David Morgan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:53 pm

sean1980be wrote:I've checked their website but there is not a lot of information on it on prices
They're on the "About" page, but who knows if they're Euros or Pounds?

Post by fletcher » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:59 pm

I dont think it's in Pounds because GBP is a valid currency where brits visit.And cappadocia is not a popular destination for brits.

Post by sean1980be » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Either way, it looks to cheap to be true! :) But it is apparantly. I think I'll book ;)