Help! Have been researching cave hotels for 2 days!!

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

traveljunkie

Help! Have been researching cave hotels for 2 days!!

Post by traveljunkie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:51 pm

My husband and I are travelling to Turkey & Greece in mid-Sept for 3 weeks. We will be in Turkey for 9-10 days (Istanbul-Cappadocia-Selcuk-Kusadasi). I am going CRAZYY trying to pick a cave hotel. It is my 30th b'day and our 5th wedding anniversary, so we would like to make this the highlight of our trip. I have shortlisted Yunak Evleri (website looks really good and has a great description of rooms - $140 deluxe room), Esbelli Evi ($110 standard double room), Museum hotel ($160 - luxurious deluxe room), and Kelebek Hotel (Pension deluxe or Boutique suites rooms $100).

Here's my dilemma- we are certainly looking for a unique "cave" experience with views of Cappadocia and we want to do the Balloon ride. Is Museum Hotel or Yunak Evleri really that much diff from the other two in terms of luxury/cave experience/views? I have been looking at all these forums and other online reviews and it has only made me all the more confused. Appreciate your input.

Love 2 Travel
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Love 2 Travel » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:34 am

Hi there, l can't speak for the others but we stayed in a cave suite
"Kelebek Hotel (Pension deluxe or Boutique suites rooms $100)" at Kelebek pension and it was worth every cent and more. The room, staff, views and food were all first class. l highly reccommend it - from all the posts on the others l read- it seems you cant go wrong either way :-)

Cheers
Hi from Australia. Always looking for somewhere interesting to go. Advice graciously excepted and given.

Cheers

fletcher

Post by fletcher » Wed May 03, 2006 8:22 am

Elkep Evi and Yusufpasa konagi have excellent view of rock formations and old city of Urgup.They might be what u look for.Its better to book your balloon ride in advance to secure you booking.Goreme Balloons is a good choice.
Have fun

asa4

Post by asa4 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:02 pm

i cant agree with you more, travel junkie. all the "cave hotel" websites look very similar, with few distinguishing features. are all the cave rehabs done by the same people (or maybe just the websites)? also, it appears that a lot of these places think tourists want lots of space, jacuzzis, electronics and the like. i had no interest in those things, so i had little to go by.

a word of caution: if you decide to go with Esbelli Evi, which a lot of people rave about, I would suggest that you do not book until you are absolutely 100% certain of your dates--especially in high season. we had problems. when we needed to revise our initial reservation by one day, the proprietor could no longer accommodate us AT ALL. it was very surprising and disappointing. we were forced to cancel and re-book elsewhere. on the upside, we get to try several other cave hotels, so we'll see for ourselves which we like!

lastly, we had probs with internet reservations. i wouldnt rely on it. service seems really spotty in Turkey, in my estimation anyway. we got better results when we called by phone.

faminbp

Post by faminbp » Wed May 17, 2006 4:16 pm

I can only speak for the Esbelli Evi which we can't recommend highly enough! The staff, breakfast, views - all fantastic. They make you feel like you're sharing their home as you can do laundry, use internet, read from their great selction (Including Tom's book), make yourself an afternoon tea, etc. We were there in April and greatly enjoyed.

amarshall67

Esbelli Evi

Post by amarshall67 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi,
I can also vouch for Esbelli Evi. I stayed there the first time about 7 years ago and went again last summer and stayed. It really is a very nice hotel, and the owner continues to add onto it and make it even better. Breakfasts are wonderful, kitchen is always open, fridge is always stocked with water, beer, soda-for the taking! While you are there, I would suggest taking a balloon ride. I didn't the first time I was there, but my mom and I did last summer. What a great trip!! We used Goreme Balloons and they were fabulous! My pictures are gorgeous, and it was such a great addition to a special trip.

Have a great time!! Please let me know if you have other questions, I'll be happy to try to help!

Ashley

asa4

Post by asa4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:56 pm

i know this is an old post--the original poster has probably come and gone to turkey by now. nonetheless, i did want to add my 2-cents.

i stayed at three different cave hotels at the end of May: Kelebek Hotel (Goreme) Yunak Evi (Urgup), Giramasu Hotel (Ayvali). I'd say I liked Kelebek and Giramasu the best.

Kelebek had terrific hearty breakfasts (e.g. made-to-order omelets), and a very young, very enthusiastic staff (who were happy to indulge me in my efforts to learn Turkish!) The boutique part, where I stayed, was nice--my room was comfortable, but not especially memorable. The grounds at the boutique felt a little bit deserted; the trade-off is that it was very quiet. The pension part had more character and seemed a little more fun, without being rowdy. It's up a cobblestone hill, on the edge of town, a 10-15 minute walk to the open air museum.

Giramasu was physically beautiful. The grounds were enchanting. Lots of wonderful little terraces. If you love hiking and exploring, the caves are right there. A little getaway in the middle of nowhere. My room was really pretty, lots of detail, with a wonderful view, and a great big bathroom and soaking tub. Plus, more plugs than you can ever imagine. It was just luxurious enough without being ostentatious. Also, the staff are highly professional, knowledgeable and friendly (not stuffy).

Yunak was also really nice, but seemed kind of sterile and the staff was a little bit distanced. i think they aim for a more european feel. also, they were gearing up for a big tour group.

In general, i sense that these tour groups ("en masse reservations") are not uncommon, as Giramasu was also having one later in the week. i dont know if it's a good or bad thing for the independent traveller, but it's something to be aware of, nonetheless.

oh, i also visited Esbelli Evi and met the owner who gave me a tour. there was a ton of construction going on. i wasnt "wow-ed" by Esbelli, as others have written, but then again, i only saw the common areas and i didnt have the benefit of staying there.

hope this helps!

asa4

Post by asa4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:00 pm

i also want to "second" Goreme Balloons. Very professional, very helpful, fun, friendly, and accommodating. our "captain" J. was a really nice guy, clearly loves his job, never rushed us. Osleh, the head of the ground crew, was a sweetheart, happy to help.

traveljunkie

Post by traveljunkie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:12 am

Thank you everyone for your input. We will be leaving in less than 3 weeks and am super excited about our trip. I ended up going with Yunak and reserving their Deluxe room. Will surely share the experience with this amazing forum.

dimple

Re: Help! Have been researching cave hotels for 2 days!!

Post by dimple » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:21 pm

traveljunkie wrote:My husband and I are travelling to Turkey & Greece in mid-Sept for 3 weeks. We will be in Turkey for 9-10 days (Istanbul-Cappadocia-Selcuk-Kusadasi). I am going CRAZYY trying to pick a cave hotel. It is my 30th b'day and our 5th wedding anniversary, so we would like to make this the highlight of our trip. I have shortlisted Yunak Evleri (website looks really good and has a great description of rooms - $140 deluxe room), Esbelli Evi ($110 standard double room), Museum hotel ($160 - luxurious deluxe room), and Kelebek Hotel (Pension deluxe or Boutique suites rooms $100).

Here's my dilemma- we are certainly looking for a unique "cave" experience with views of Cappadocia and we want to do the Balloon ride. Is Museum Hotel or Yunak Evleri really that much diff from the other two in terms of luxury/cave experience/views? I have been looking at all these forums and other online reviews and it has only made me all the more confused. Appreciate your input.

hello , i can offer you elkep evi hotel. hotel's location is good and hotel is very clean . i recomanded to stay in elkep evi hotel .. dbl room pe rnight cost is for 2 person 80 euro with breakfast
if you interested to stay with this hotel i can help you ...
have a nice day.....