Cappadocia and Ramadan

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

relaxed-in-turkey
How many stars? **: 0

Cappadocia and Ramadan

Post by relaxed-in-turkey » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:52 am

Looking to visit Cappadocia but just realised the dates we propose are during Ramadan. We ususally enjoy a long lunch out, with some wine. Anyone know if this is going to be a problem during the period of Ramadam?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 pm

I understand your concern as we recently booked our return flights to Turkey for Oct/Nov not realising part of our trip would be during Ramazan. Slight panic, as we both like our vino and are very appreciative of Turkish cuisine.

However, after a quick browse through this website and in particular the topic "Preparing for Ramazam" we relaxed again.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Reli ... mazan.html

I also did a search under "Ramazan" and various posts lead me to believe that things go on pretty much as usual, apart from in the most traditional parts of the country. I have always thought of Cappadocia as very tourist friendly and also as a wine producing area I can't see that most restaurants are going to refuse to serve you wine.

Our own particular doubt is whether we will be able to have our wine with an early dinner (say about 7-8 o'clock) as by all accounts the late evening meals during Ramazan are elaborate affairs that possibly don't contribute to a good night's sleep. It seems that at many restaurants during Ramazan you have to book in advance for the late evening meal. Does this mean that the normal a la carte menu is off?

Would welcome some comments from those in the know.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 am

Hi Relaxed and Wanderer!
As a Dutch originate I am living in Turkey, working in Turkey, and travelling in Turkey. I was in Cappedocia 2 years ago during Ramadan in November and there is no problem at all to eat or to drink any time of the day.
Of course they will serve you wine or a beer, under the condition they have it on the list. Some basic restaurants do not have a license to serve wine or beer. When I encountered that once they allowed us to bring our own wine and showed us the way to the supermarket!
Some of our staff is fasting, some are not. You will never get funny looks if you eat close to someone who doesn't. And having a restaurant it is an income so no one would like to loose that when Ramadan falls in the summerseason.
Just be prepared if you want to travel to Konya, that was the only place so far where we really could not eat! Even we arrived in the evening and the sign for eating was given. What we found out that in Konya the restaurants open just for an hour or so after sunset, everybody eats and the place is closed.
And for booking a table, don't worry too much. Only if you want to eat early immeditate after sunset the places might be crowded, but soon after that there will be lots of place.
Plus I am not sure whether the locals in Cappedocia are eating out a lot like in istanbul or Ankara for instance.
Both of you a very nice trip to Turkey!

Caveman

Cappadocia During Ramadan

Post by Caveman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:11 am

For eating and drinking there is no problem. Just back from a local restaurant and had great home made wine by the dinner....
Happy Travelling,
Caveman :-)
Enjoy Life, this is not a rehearsal.... Come and Travel Turkey