How to get from Kayseri to Goreme (Local Cave Hotel)

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 pm

There are trade offs for both really. At the moment flights to Nevsehir aren't that frequent and the timetable can be awkward. For example, the main Turkish Airlines plane comes in after 10pm - which isn;t always convenient if you check out of your Istanbul hotel that morning. A taxi is then the only real option for most travellers and is expensive, but quick. However, if you're hiring a car, bargain priced only service this airport so it could actually work out much cheaper than Kayseri. The other main consideration is that flights generally only take place during the summer, not always with much warning and rarely easy to book in advance online.

There are lots of flights every day to Kayseri and the timings tend to be much more convenient. The early afternoon flight is particularly pleasant. However, I share a dislike of airport shuttle buses and if I weren't picking up a hire car from the airport I'd do all I could to fly to Nevsehir.

Post by rbrando » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:21 pm

steve wrote:There are trade offs for both really.
I have to agree with everything said in the post before this. There were flights to Nevshir, but I elected to go with Kayseri because of the odd timing of flights to Nevshir. I would have gotten into Cappadocia very late and I would have had to leave very early on the way out of Cappa. I ended up going into Kayseri because the timing of the flights was better (a few hours earlier on the way in meant that I could still have a pleasant later evening when I arrived and mid-morning on the way out meant that I didn't have to get up at 4am to leave.)

That said, if they could slot a decent flight time to Nevshir, and I could have arranged economical transportation to Goreme, I would also do all I could to fly into Nevshir. I do know there are cheap buses that run from Nevshir to Goreme or Urgup, but I don't know what the schedule is, where one would find it, or even if one could book in advance. ???

Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: How to get from Kayseri to Goreme (Local Cave Hotel)

Post by turkeytom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

The easiest way to go between any Cappadocian hotel and the airport (either Kayseri [ASR] or Nevşehir [NEV]) is by airport shuttle van. Every airline serving these airports has a shuttle van service run by a local travel agency. Most seem to cost around TL12 per person, one-way (single). Here's more: ... index.html

Allow an hour for the trip from either airport to your hotel.

You could rent a car at the airport, but then you'd have to pay a day's rental, find your way, drive an hour, and in the case of Kayseri, drive around the city and take some weird turns. Signage is not the best. Getting lost is easy. Fuel costs about US$10 per US gallon (or about EUR1.89 per liter), so aimless wandering is expensive.

I take the shuttle from the airport to my hotel. If I want to rent a car, I have it brought to the hotel the following morning and sign the papers at the hotel. That way I save a day's rental, and fuel for an hour's journey—almost always cheaper than renting at the airport and driving—even though I know the way.

Tom Brosnahan

Re: How to get from Kayseri to Goreme (Local Cave Hotel)

Post by Yentakvetch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:13 pm

The airport shuttle worked fine for me from Kayseri to the Fairy Chimney Inn in Goreme. I came out of the airport, no shuttle, but he turned up in about 1 minute with a card with my name on it. I was just about the last one off, but it really did not take all that long from first to last drop off. The shuttle has to be thought of as the equivalent of the Super Shuttle in the US. If you want a direct ride, you go the private car route and pay for it. I did take the shuttle back to Kayseri when my time in Cappadocia was over.