Star Cave vs. Shoestring

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

kbuckus1
How many stars? **: 0

Star Cave vs. Shoestring

Post by kbuckus1 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:14 pm

I have just come across a cave hotel in Goreme called the Star Cave Hotel. It seems to be a little bit newer than some of the others. They also seem to offer the same exact services as Shoestring. Even the wording on their respective web-sites is almost an exact match. Has anyone ever heard of it? I didn't see any posts about it. I was just wondering. Thanks.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 30, 2007 11:39 pm

Do you mean Elif Star Caves?

kbuckus1

Post by kbuckus1 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:46 pm

I don't believe it is. Their web-site just calls it Star Cave Hotel and Pansion. (I thought they were called pensions, but that is what they have.) their web-site is http://www.starcavecappadocia.com/index.htm or you can simply google the name.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 31, 2007 4:10 pm

I can heartily vouch for Elif Star, but I don't know this one at all.

David Morgan

Re: Star Cave vs. Shoestring

Post by David Morgan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm staying at the Star Cave Pension right now and I would recommend it to anyone. It's a very friendly family run place. There is also a bunch of Malaysians here who stayed one night at the Shoestring before abandoning it. I've just done a quick straw poll and they say 4/10 for the Shoestring and 8/10 for the Star Cave (probabaly 9/10 when Ramazan and his father Ahmet have finished the last 4 rooms of the 12).

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am

Are you at Elif Star or Star Cave? The two are almost next door to each other.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:31 am

The Star Cave:
http://www.starcavecappadocia.com/
I'm booked in for 4 nights but I think I'll probably stay for a week.
It's at the the southern end near the Rock Valley pension, not close to the Elif (apparently Ramazan used to work there).
Nice view from the terrace outside my room. I think it's lower budget than the Elif.
P.S. They're voted 6th out of 30 hotels İn Göreme on TripAdvisor.

boyceb

Post by boyceb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

David,

Do you still recommend Star Cave Hotel? They've dropped to 13 on Trip Advior but I don't put much stock in that when they still have good reviews.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:53 am

Yes, it's good value and in a nice peaceful setting. If it was really hot I might try the Rock Valley pension close by, because it's got a swimming-pool (whose water pump wasn't working when I enquired there, so I ended up at the Star Cave, which I don't regret).

thelily

Post by thelily » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm

I just got back from spending a week in Star Cave Pansiyon with my boyfriend. We had a lovely, en suite cave room for 29 euros a night. Great views of fairy chimneys. Friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

RE the confusion with Elif Star Pansiyon: the family who run Star Cave Pansiyon (correct web address above) used to run what is now Elif Star Pansiyon with another local man Haci. I used to stay there till Haci emigrated to New Zealand 10 years ago. Haci's partner, Ahmet, then renovated and built (new) Star Cave Pansiyon with his English speaking son Ramazan.

Ramazan is very entertaining and enthusiastic. While I was there last week, he told me that he wants to add a special paragraph for each of their 8 rooms to their web site. Our room for example, he told me, has a hair drier. I replied that I'd not noticed one in the room, to which he said, 'we will get you one!'. A hair drier was duly delivered. I'm currently unsure as to exactly what special features the other 7 rooms are to have, but be sure, if you find yourself staying in room 104, to ask for your hair drier if for some reason it's not there
the Lily