Winging it

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

Winging it

Post by travelbug » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:15 am

Is it advisable to reserve a hotel in advance in Goreme or can just "wing it" and get a good accommodation in one of the cave hotels? We will be there May 27-30th and won't get in until about 6ish on the 27th.

How many stars? **: 0

Re: Winging it

Post by steve » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm

If it is just a single or double you're looking for then you'll have no problems just turning up - in fact it's always more exciting that way. If you needed multiple rooms, particularly with odd numbers of single travelers then it is best to book in advance.

I have turned up on spec three or four times and never had a problem either during Easter, or the peak of summer. It helps to have an idea of where you’d like to stay and I usually have three or four hotels in mind and then check them out when I get there.

Apart from unusual room needs, the only other reason to book in advance is if you have your heart sent on a particularly popular room or suite at a hotel. Somewhere like the Esbelli in Urgup is less likely to have rooms free during busier periods.

If you have more than a couple of days, why not do two days in Goreme and then two or three in another village.