Taskonak Hotel in Cappadocia

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

travelbug

Taskonak Hotel in Cappadocia

Post by travelbug » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am

Is anyone familiar with the Taskonak Hotel and how does it compare to the Kelebek Boutique Hotel and Kelebek Pension? I understand they are all owned by the same company. The rates seem very good. How are the accommodations, views, food? Thanks!

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Taskonak Hotel in Cappadocia

Post by steve » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm

I have stayed at Kelebek boutique and it is very good, but all are 'larger' establishments without 'quite' the same family feel as a smaller place.

I saw you mention swimming pools in another post - forget it. You're underestimating Cappadocia! It's just not something you need to consider.

Food in some hotels is okay. Breakfast is always generally good. Evening meals are bets spent in the many and varied local restuarants.

Might be worth reading through Tom's pages on this site, the big-name guidebooks and perhaps a few of the traveller reports on the forum. That should give you a better feel for what to expect, and what to look for.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:11 pm

We stayed at the Kelebek Pension and loved it. The website is very honest, I feel we got just what we were hoping for, certainly not luxury but real character.
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Steve - Are you saying that the Kelebek Hotel and Pension are not cave hotels? Or are you saying there are more intimate ones that are smaller? Can you specify which you like best?

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:22 pm

Margaret - Were the breakfasts good and the staff helpful? Were the views from the hotel nice? We don't expect luxury, but want an intimate accommodation in a good location with a special feel - rather than a Western style hotel.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:06 pm

The Kelebek is a larger cave hotel, but we still had an excellent time. The rooms are very luxurious and a much cheaper then a 'suite' in a western hotel. However, my favourite in Goreme is Elif Star - smaller, more basic and well, I just like it there. For the higher specification cave hotel experience then the Esbelli in Urgup is the de facto standard imho.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:29 am

Very good example of a Turkish breakfast, as usual, laid out buffet style. You could request a hot course if required. The terrace is enchanting and one of the main plusses, for us, were the other guests and the friendly staff.

We did eat there one evening and it was fine, but generally we prefer to seek out a local restaurant and can recommend Alaturka and Local in goreme.

We actually sampled two rooms at the pension as we arrived on spec last April and no one room was available for our whole stay, both were characterful and certainly it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Wouldn't miss the cave experience while in Cappadocia
MPD

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am

Now that we decided to try this hotel, we are having difficulty getting an answer back from them with regards to a reservation. Has anyone had experience with this hotel? Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with them? Perhaps we have the wrong email address.

travelbug

Post by travelbug » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 pm

We finally received an email from the hotel and will be booking our room there. I will be certain to provide info on this thread after our stay. In the meantime, if anyone else goes there before May 27th, please let me know what you think. Thanks! June

walkingtheworld

Post by walkingtheworld » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Travelbug -- How was your stay at the Taskonak?

A friend and I will visit in late October. I am considering Taskonak, Kelebek, and Katpatuka so any feedback on your experience is appreciated.

Given the weather, does anyone know if we will be sitting on the terraces for meals or will these be indoors? Are any of the hotels better in this respect than others for breakfast and a place to sit in the evenings?

Thanks.