Balloon tour types--is 2 hour or deluxe better?

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

ckdexter

Balloon tour types--is 2 hour or deluxe better?

Post by ckdexter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread--I couldn't find a good match.

But the recommended tour companies all offer a cheaper, shorter flight option, and I'm wondering if it's as good in all other respects, despite being a larger balloon with more people?

I ask because my wife is a bit afraid of heights--I think she'll feel better with the shorter one. Thanks!

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Balloon tour types--is 2 hour or deluxe better?

Post by SwampeastMike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 am

My understanding of the main difference is that the deluxe balloon flights involve more monitoring of wind conditions in order to find the ideal launch spot on any given day. The ideal launch spot not only allows for more air time, but for lower altitude flying where you essentially hug the contour of the earth below for especially fine viewing of the area.

Given that both are quite expensive, I opted for the deluxe as it seems geared to making the utmost of a generally wonderful experience. We fly on 10 Sep this year (weather permitting).

p.s. If you find yourself in Oludeniz and can handle running off the edge of a very high cliff, I greatly recommend that you parasail. We lucked out last year. Full moon was rising over the mountains while the sun was setting into the sea with a dense but thin layer of clouds midway down the mountain. Time lost all meaning--all I know is that it was full daylight when we launched and moonlight when we landed on the beach.

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Balloon tour types--is 2 hour or deluxe better?

Post by SwampeastMike » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 am

Sorry I didn't write after the fact...

Yes, there is a definite difference!

The "regular" flights essentially just go high into the air dropping down once or twice for a short period.

The "deluxe" flights spend comparatively little time high in the air with most spent at low and medium altitude as the pilot does his best to make a complete circuit of the valley with some kissingly close encounters with fairy chimneys and particularly well chosen photo ops given the early morning sunlight.

I suspect that only the most experienced pilots are allowed to conduct the deluxe flights.

The time spent in the air seems similar. The deluxe flights are sometimes described as "long flights" but by my observation on the day we flew "long" refers far more to the area you cover than the length.

Unless you want a beet-red face and slightly painful burn, tall people should avoid looking over the heat shield and up into the flame when you ascend... While not the eye of the Gorgon there are LOTS of BTUs burning!