Where balloon company safety record?

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

Where balloon company safety record?

Post by ckdexter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

Sorry if this isn't the right thread--I can't decide which is the best fit.

But I've heard Kappadokya and Goreme balloons have the best safety records--however, I've also seen the links to new stories of a deadly crash last year that involved KB.

So, I'd like to see some hard data on the records of these companies. I know accidents happen, and these two companies may indeed be the safest. But I hate to take hearsay on this: when people say they have the best safety records, is there a source for this?

Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Where balloon company safety record?

Post by turkeytom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 am

Problem is, the actual safety records are not public, and the authorities are not enthusiastic about releasing info on accidents lest it discourage tourism and decrease revenue.

In the past I felt that Kapadokya Balloons had and the best safety procedures and the best safety record—this was the first ballooning company in Cappadocia, after all. But Lars Möre and Kaili Kidner, founders of the company and the two most experienced balloon pilots in Cappadocia, retired in 2009 and sold their company to a large tourism conglomerate. This does not mean Kapadokya Balloons is less safe than before; it just means I have nothing to go on to judge their safety.

Göreme Balloons has been around a good while also, but I know that some of their most experienced pilots and staff have moved to other companies.

Staff move around a lot in this business, especially as so many new balloon companies want to get in on the boom. They compete vigorously for the most experienced pilots and ground crews. When a new company is founded, it may offer better terms and higher pay to the top people, and thus the people that made one company's flights safer may not be there anymore by the time you fly.

Again, that does not mean their flights are unsafe. It means we don't know. But it is certainly true that some companies are less safe than others because of ineffectual management, inexperienced pilots or ground personnel, or poor quality/poorly maintained equipment. And the companies that are less safe are usually also the ones that, not knowing what they are doing, take your money but give you a less satisfying flight experience.

What I do in this uncertain situation is get to know the management, the people running the company, and recommend the companies that I believe have proper management. It's no guarantee of a safe flight, as safety depends on all sorts of factors, some of which are beyond anyone's control (such as wind and weather), but I feel it's the best I can do.

Here's my take on it:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/spec ... afety.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/spec ... loons.html

Tom Brosnahan