A magical place to stay near Urgup

Comments on lodgings in Göreme, Ürgüp, Uçhisar, Nevsehir and other towns in Cappadocia

Moderator: sinan

Nicci

A magical place to stay near Urgup

Post by Nicci » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Aravan Evi was the most memorable accommodation of the entire time in Turkey. I felt like we discovered a wonderful secret. I'm so glad we stayed here rather than a cave hotel in a bigger village. Ending our day at Aravan Evi was a welcome respite after spending most of our day surrounded by tour groups.

Our room had the most comfortable bed of the trip, it was quiet and the spacious room had a large bathroom with a huge shower. We loved the terrace view of the charming village each morning.

The family hotel was beautiful and the service was outstanding. Okan was always there to help answer any questions while his mother cooked and father took care of the maintenance. They also offer complementary drinks and laundry which was a nice touch.

The breakfasts were excellent with eggs from their chickens served any way. The chickens were some of the most beautiful I've ever seen and the rich orange yolk of the eggs tasted amazing. Dinner was a highlight and the multi-course meal was more food than we could finish. Their well reviewed restaurant was one of the main reasons we chose to stay here. I enjoyed watching his mother prepare lunch for guests in black clay pots that were transferred to the smoking tandir in their gorgeous outdoor kitchen. Hopefully they'll add cooking classes.

Ayvali is a charming village and Aravan Evi is located near the entrance. Make sure to take the time to wander the roads and climb to the top for a spectacular view over riverbed and caves. Even meet some of the locals like we did. We were invited into a home for tea and cookies to meet the whole family. Hopefully the village will retain it's genuine appeal as others discover this magical place.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: A magical place to stay near Urgup

Post by David Morgan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Looks nice enough. But too expensive and too remote for my taste. Maybe worth dropping in for lunch at the restaurant, though.

Nicci

Post by Nicci » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Every vacationer is different. As seasoned travelers, we always rent a car and never take tours. We like adventure and exploration.

Aravan Evi is perfect for someone who is planning to rent a car and wants to spend time in real Turkey, not just what every other tourist does. That is what made it much more memorable than any of the other accommodations of the trip. Plus, it's about only 10 minutes from Urgurp and Mustafapasa.

IthacaNancy

Post by IthacaNancy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 pm

I agree completely with Nicci's comments and only note that Mr. Morgan didn't stay at Aravan Evi. The price we paid was far below the price of the comparable properties we looked at in Cappadocia. Yes, there were less expensive places, but read their reviews. For the genuine value of enjoying traditional Turkish cuisine, culture and comfort, Aravan Evi was a real find!

Our four night stay in November 2011 was totally delightful! We had done some research before we arrived and Okan was a wonderful host, reviewing our plans and making suggestions for the day. He never steered us wrong. Because we were just a few miles south of the most built-up and touristy areas, we were able to drive south and west to the Ilhara Valley and other areas just as interesting as the areas around Gerome. The only group activity we participated in was a Royal Balloon flight. They came out to pick us up and drop us off, so the short drive to their business location was no trouble.

While we were at Aravan Evi a travel journalist and her guide arrived for lunch. They had had flown from Istanbul for the day to eat there and see the rock formations in Gerome. The guide introduced himself to us, and we were surprised to find he was the guide we had hired for a day in Istanbul later in the week. When we spent the day with him, he confirmed our observation that Aravan Evi is a real gem in the area. They offer fantastic food - traditional rural cuisine, home-grown, home-prepared. This is the way we eat at home, and it was a highlight of the trip to be able to eat non-industrial food.

The accommodations are unique, comfortable, and homey. When I remember our six week trip through Turkey, Israel, Greece, Spain and Portugal, the first, most relaxing day I recall is the quiet day I spend in the glassed in dining room overlooking the quiet town with unseasonably early snowflakes falling. My husband walked around the town, exploring on his own and with Okan as a guide. Since my husband's work involves all aspects of the stone building trade, it was a real pleasure for him to meet stone masons and see the techniques used.

Again, I echo Nicci's comment hoping that development doesn't destroy the quiet charm of the town. Okan expressed his desire for the business to stay small and personal, recognizing that increasing the scale of the business can take away from what makes a stay here so valuable.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by David Morgan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 am

IthacaNancy wrote:The price we paid was far below the price of the comparable properties we looked at in Cappadocia
I see what you mean. The Gamirasu in the same village is almost twice as expensive.

As Nicci said - "Every vacationer is different". I'm of the low budget variety. It seems that most of my money is spent on fuel in Turkey nowadays.
Next time I go by motorbike, I might even take a tent.