Assos Hotels/Pensions

Comments on lodgings in other Turkish cities and towns

Moderator: sinan

BostonGal

Assos Hotels/Pensions

Post by BostonGal » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi -- I am having a heck of time finding accomdations in Assos (harbor or village) for our family of 4. All the hotels I've tried don't have rooms available during our time period. Does anyone have any recommendations? We'd prefer staying in the village or close to the harbor area, but we'd also consider a place close by. Another obstacle has been that only a handful (2-3) pensions actually have websites or online booking. We'll be travelling there June 8-10. In the 'old' days (before kids!), we'd just show up in town and search for lodging. But, now the thought of trudging from place to place w/ 2 children in tow sounds like a nightmare! Actually, our kids aren't that young -- ages 12 and 5, but it's still a hassle. Or should we just take our chances? Thank you!

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Assos Hotels/Pensions

Post by carrie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 am

Try..Yıldız Saray Hotel in the old harbor area...we visited here in 2007 on a family holidays..we had two rooms however I do know they have a family room so you might want to give them a try..I did write a trip report back in 2007 as well regarding our trip and stay at this hotel...as you can read here;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3332&hilit=assos

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3366&hilit=YildizSaray
carrie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:53 am

I would just like to post a review of the hotel we stayed at while we were in Assos.

My family of 5 stayed at the YildizSaray Hotel in Assos last week and certainly loved this small hotel located close to the harbour ( Iskele) area. All hotels or guest houses in this area are quaint refurbished old stone houses.

The room we stayed in was very comfortable with tasteful surroundings, central heating, TV and a great clean bathroom with shower stalls. Our room even had a small fireplace in the corner of the room and was decorated in old ottoman stlye. For the kids they had a separte room with 3 single beds.

We ate turkish meze ( appetizers ) of mussels and calamari along with yogurt. Breakfast was traditional and very satisfying. They also have a terrace restaurant on the roof but because of the time of year it was closed but it has a nice view of the harbour.

The staff were very friendly and even allowed me with the use of their internet service to connect my laptop to check emails.

Walking down the cobble stone road towards the harbour we watched the fishing boats with there catch. This hotel is located near to the castle and a short drive up the the Temple of Athena.

Carrie
Eski Liman Yıldız Saray
Telefon : 0286 721 70 25
Faks : 0286 721 71 69
Posta Adresi : Antik Liman Behramkale (Assos) Ayvacık Çanakkale
E-Posta : info@assosyildizsarayotel.com
Web : http://www.assosyildizsarayotel.com/

http://www.yildizsaray-hotels.com/

PS...when sending an inquiry at this hotel tell them that Carrie from Antalya has recommended them..hopefully they will remember me !!!!
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10 pm

I enjoyed the Yıldız Saray Harbour Hotel, but I hate their website. What is it about Turkish webmasters that they feel they have to include every flash-bang-wallop effect available but don't actually give you any information?

Here's a website with some hotels/pensions there:
http://assos.de/map/hotels_assos_area1.htm

BostonGal

Re: Assos Hotels/Pensions - Troas Motel?

Post by BostonGal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:55 am

David and Carrie -- Thank you for your very quick response! I actually finally rec'd a response through Small Hotels of Turkey for a place just outside town called the Troas Motel. Right on the beach. Not in the village or harbor, but that's okay. My kids will probably enjoy staying on the beach. Time to move on! Anyone stayed at the Troas Motel?

HeidiandGary

Post by HeidiandGary » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:50 am

My family of 5 stayed at the YildizSaray Hotel in Assos last week and certainly loved this small hotel located close to the harbour ( Iskele) area. All hotels or guest houses in this area are quaint refurbished old stone houses.

The room we stayed in was very comfortable with tasteful surroundings, central heating, TV and a great clean bathroom with shower stalls. Our room even had a small fireplace in the corner of the room and was decorated in old ottoman stlye. For the kids they had a separte room with 3 single beds.
This sounds wonderful---like the idea of the stone house and ottoman decor!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:18 am

The view from my room at the Yıldız Saray Hotel.

DarrellBray

Post by DarrellBray » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm

I really like staying in places like this, much more than the big, newer hotels. The sense of really being right there in with the history of a place, I guess. That is, at least when I'm visiting places like turkey. Obviously somewhere like DC or Vegas where everything is new, I don't mind a nice shiny new hotel. :D
Cheers,
Darrell

DaisyUU

Post by DaisyUU » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi there bostongal. I'm new to the forums as you probably noticed. I'm just browsing the threads as my family and I will be traveling to Turkey in the coming months for an extended vacation. I am happy I found this thread because on hotels we were just going to get out there and 'wing it' with just a few hotels in mind. This is because we actually want to see the hotels in person to make sure they are suitable for ourselves and our kids. We're thinking about taking a trip to noprtheast PA before going to Turkey. Does anybody know if you can get Marthas Vineyard hotels by winging it? Anyway, thanks for the warning on not 'winging it' in Turkey. Nice to meet you :)