Which hotel to enjoy Bodrum's nightlife?

Comments on lodgings in other Turkish cities and towns

Moderator: sinan

diee

Which hotel to enjoy Bodrum's nightlife?

Post by diee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi everybody,

I'll spend one night (saturday night) in Bodrum with some friends and I would like to enjoy Bodrum's nightlife. Which hotel would you suggest start with a dinner,go to bars and clubs? ANy suggestion (also related to bars or disco) will be accepted ;-)

Thanks everybody.

Daniele

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Which hotel to enjoy Bodrum's nightlife?

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 am

For one night of "party time" in Bodrum, look for hotels along Cumhuriden Caddesi a.k.a "Bar Street" for a possible view of the bay or Ataturk Caddesi which both parallel the bay in the true town of Bodrum. Most are rather small and all are very expensive in the high season as you pay for location, location, location. Expect little if you find a place on these streets that seems a bargain.

As to where to party: walk along bar street as well as the closest street to the bay on the other side of the castle. Listen to the music and land where you most enjoy what you hear and don't mind paying the cover charge which can be extremly high. The truly Turkish places are though almost impossible to find unless you are with Turks as they are below or above street level with nearly hidden doors with doormen who may not allow obvious tourists to enter.

diee

Post by diee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 pm

SwampeastMike wrote:For one night of "party time" in Bodrum, look for hotels along Cumhuriden Caddesi a.k.a "Bar Street" for a possible view of the bay or Ataturk Caddesi which both parallel the bay in the true town of Bodrum. Most are rather small and all are very expensive in the high season as you pay for location, location, location. Expect little if you find a place on these streets that seems a bargain.

As to where to party: walk along bar street as well as the closest street to the bay on the other side of the castle. Listen to the music and land where you most enjoy what you hear and don't mind paying the cover charge which can be extremly high. The truly Turkish places are though almost impossible to find unless you are with Turks as they are below or above street level with nearly hidden doors with doormen who may not allow obvious tourists to enter.
Thanks SwampeastMike ;-)

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

You're quite welcome and I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time!

Halikarnas Disco in Bodrum is likely the most elaborate. Very expensive. Best for those in their 20s/30s who enjoy high-energy dancing and have some money to burn. The clientele is decidedly international with music that tends to Turkish house/techno and some American hip hop. Dress smartly. As a club owner in small-town USA I was quite impressed, but also rather out-of-place due to my age (mid 40s).

Catamaran Club Bodrum is a large glass-bottomed catamaran that sets sail at 10:00 p.m. and parties until the wee hours with excellent entertainment. Extremely expensive, mainly for the younger and you must dress fashionably. The finest DJs and most famous Turkish performers.

Other Bodrum city clubs come in all sizes and descriptions. The two most common traits are high prices and gut-pounding sound systems. Like every place I have visited in the world, the real party starts around the witching hour of midnight. You'll find street vendors selling tasty morsels (my favorites are the black mussels) after the restaurants have closed. An ice cream stand on the marina side of Bodrum bay (heading from the castle on the water side just as you turn a sharp corner to follow the marina) serves the most unique and delicious ice cream I have ever tasted. Bodrum city restaurants--even the simple lunch counters--have uniformely excellent food. Upscale Mediterannean is the best way I know to describe the style of food. For a special evening I'd recommend one of the restaurants along bar street that extend to the edge of the bay. Prices are fairly high with very good service.

The neighboring town of Gumbet is less expensive and also very lively. Brits are by far the most common and frankly I forget I'm in Turkey. You hear lots of American disco from the 70s and 80s and about the only Turks you will see are workers. Gumbet is almost carnival-like. You'll see many, many places offering "Fish and Chips" and "English Breakfast". Oriental and British-style Italian are also common.

diee

Post by diee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:08 pm

SwampeastMike wrote:You're quite welcome and I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time!

Halikarnas Disco in Bodrum is likely the most elaborate. Very expensive. Best for those in their 20s/30s who enjoy high-energy dancing and have some money to burn. The clientele is decidedly international with music that tends to Turkish house/techno and some American hip hop. Dress smartly. As a club owner in small-town USA I was quite impressed, but also rather out-of-place due to my age (mid 40s).

Catamaran Club Bodrum is a large glass-bottomed catamaran that sets sail at 10:00 p.m. and parties until the wee hours with excellent entertainment. Extremely expensive, mainly for the younger and you must dress fashionably. The finest DJs and most famous Turkish performers.

Other Bodrum city clubs come in all sizes and descriptions. The two most common traits are high prices and gut-pounding sound systems. Like every place I have visited in the world, the real party starts around the witching hour of midnight. You'll find street vendors selling tasty morsels (my favorites are the black mussels) after the restaurants have closed. An ice cream stand on the marina side of Bodrum bay (heading from the castle on the water side just as you turn a sharp corner to follow the marina) serves the most unique and delicious ice cream I have ever tasted. Bodrum city restaurants--even the simple lunch counters--have uniformely excellent food. Upscale Mediterannean is the best way I know to describe the style of food. For a special evening I'd recommend one of the restaurants along bar street that extend to the edge of the bay. Prices are fairly high with very good service.

The neighboring town of Gumbet is less expensive and also very lively. Brits are by far the most common and frankly I forget I'm in Turkey. You hear lots of American disco from the 70s and 80s and about the only Turks you will see are workers. Gumbet is almost carnival-like. You'll see many, many places offering "Fish and Chips" and "English Breakfast". Oriental and British-style Italian are also common.
Thanks Mike,the "Catamaran Club" makes me curious.. Which restaurant or cocktail bar do you suggest?

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 am

The Catamaran had closed during my Sep and Oct visits. You can easily see it as the largest thing in the bay on google satellite map.

My recollection of bars is by position and not by name.

Just listening to the selection at Korfez (rock) Bar http://www.korfezbar.com/ makes me believe I visited and enjoyed and look forward to the music you hear in Bodrum. Exceptional loud systems for those who enjoy loud, clear, head banging, gut knocking, foot lifting music.

Two of my favorites are nearly back-to-back along Dr. Alim Bey (bar street)--maybe... The street names change frequently. If you walk from the castle on bar street past Club Catamaran they are after the first right-hand jog you must make to follow the sea as closely as possible. On the sea side is deep, double-wide disco with a nice overlook, a fine sound system with mixed genre and languages--all completely danceable. Roughly across the street is a wide but smaller open-front bar slightly below street level. Turkish techno house with sonic wind comparable to 50' line of fire of Tool's main hall loudspeakers.

Hadigari at the base of the castle and foot of bar street is elegant with the finest view of the bay save the castle itself.

The food in Bodrum is of such general fineness that you simply choose your location, preference and price from the posted menus. Along the marina side are many places to choose your fresh choice from the case serving as the seafood menu. It's rather like New Orleans, Louisiana. If you encounter bad food it's your own problem...

diee

Post by diee » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks Mike,I look forward to arrive in Bodrum!

SoloFemaleTraveler

Post by SoloFemaleTraveler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 am

I'm not sure where you could stay, but I would recommend not staying at the Diamond of Bodrum!
Food is the worst I've eaten anywhere in turkey, especially for a 5* resort. Everything else is okay, but definitely not 5*. Oh and the bartenders/waiters and crude and rude and make getting a drink an uncomfortable experience..

Hope you have a great trip, I know I have loved turkey..

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

SoloFemaleTraveler wrote:I'm not sure where you could stay, but I would recommend not staying at the Diamond of Bodrum!
Food is the worst I've eaten anywhere in turkey, especially for a 5* resort. Everything else is okay, but definitely not 5*. Oh and the bartenders/waiters and crude and rude and make getting a drink an uncomfortable experience..

Hope you have a great trip, I know I have loved turkey..
The * ratings in the Bodrum area seem very subjective. There seems to be intense competition for the cheapest ***** 4-7 day package tour for European guests. We stay at l'Ambiance Resort just outside the city center mainly because we love the setting and location with Sep-Oct prices that leave room in the budget to enjoy the other attractions.

Did you enjoy the music and nightlife?