Gozlek Thermal Resort (near Amasya)

Comments on lodgings in other Turkish cities and towns

Moderator: sinan

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Gozlek Thermal Resort (near Amasya)

Post by SwampeastMike » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 am

Gozlek Thermal is located about 15 miles from the center of Amasya. Officially a ** hotel, I would say that it deserves at least ***. There is an ENORMOUS indoor natural thermal swimming pool that because of constant replenishment does not require chlorine.

In addition to guest rooms in the hotel there are also cabin rentals for families. While almost exclusively Turkish guests, they welcome international travelers. I would suggest that a rental car is a virtual necessity as you will find it a great convenience not only in getting to/from the hotel but for exploring the beautiful town and area.

The prices are extremely reasonable and the food at the restuarant quite good. A-la-carte dinner menu even if you opt for half-board and a typical Turkish buffet breakfast. I believe much of the staff lives on premesis and noticed lots of laundry drying on lines. I mentioned to the owner that we were on a very long holiday and could really use some laundry for our touring clothes, underwear, etc. Nothing special--just wash and let dry. To my amazement there was no charge but of course I tipped the lady who presented my clean clothes nicely even if she at first refused until I included "lutfen" and the desk clerk motioned, "It's OK".

This is very much a family place with many children. No alcohol of any form on the menu or in the room refrigerator (amazingly no cost for what it contains), but they will provide canned beer (extra cost of course) to consume in your room as it is not allowed in the public areas except perhaps in the third floor party room which seemed to contain a bar (but not open when we visited). The hotel is open year-round and I was told that it is especially popular in the winter.

The hotel rooms are a bit small with limited storage, but are very clean and almost new looking. The baths in the hotel rooms are very nice and all have a large (or huge) whirlpool tub with natural thermal water.