Doviz Burosu/Istanbul Post Office question

Questions, answers and general discussion about doing business with Turkish companies.

Moderator: sinan

turkeylurkey

Doviz Burosu/Istanbul Post Office question

Post by turkeylurkey » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:00 am

Will they exchange large amounts of US$ ? Or will I need to make several trips?

Thanks.

sinan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by sinan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:18 am

You can take any Large amount of money. NO problem unless thay are COUNTERFEIT.

Have a nice spend your money in Turkey

Sinan

turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Oh, I will! :lol:

starman

Post by starman » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Remember that if you have a large amount to change ($1,000 plus) you can haggle over the exchange rate in favour of yourself.

turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:29 pm

I didn't know that, so I thank you very much for that bit of info.

Also, I just rec'd a letter from the tour director. He said that USD $ are widely accepted all over Turkey. Is this So?
I would love the opportunity to avoid the money exchange if possible. I found out recently that Israeli's & Jordanians like USD which made it very convenient for me.

papillon

Post by papillon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:52 pm

from what i understand it is technically illegal for businesses to accept currency other than TL (or YTL as it is now) I have seen prices listed in Euro/USD/Sterling in beach resort area restaurants, but i also noticed i was better off exchanging my money because while they accepted USD it was often inflating the meal's price by paying that way...and I was much better off getting the fake exchange rate with their "no commission" deals.

**everywhere advertises 'no commission' but look in the newspaper and you'll see that the exchange rate they're offering you is not the current exchange rate :)**

but i do prefer going to the post office or a bank :)

turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Thank you Papillon for the valuable advice.

I think what I will do is exchange a small amt at the airport currency exchange to get me through the first 24 hrs in Istanbul. Then I will find a post office & change the rest there before joining my tour group.

turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:41 am

I might be able to bypass the airport Bureau de Change after all. I read that there is a post office in the terminal.

papillon

Post by papillon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49 am

:) haha there you go, nice thinking ;)

don't get me wrong, the PTT won't exchange the money with much different value, but at least i felt like: okay this is a government organization not some kinda crazy business :)

AND keep in mind...it may be a day you can't find a place to exchange your money (like on a Sunday or something) my first time in turkey i made the mistake of not exchanging money on saturday evening when i was running out...so sunday i was stuck somewhere amid closed exchange bureaus...so i thought about it for a while...and hopped a taxi to the airport to exchange it there, as nowhere else i could find was open for exchange :) obviously the airport exchange will ALWAYS be open :) when in doubt and desperate...get a ride BACK to the airport ;)

Jasmine

Re: Doviz Burosu/Istanbul Post Office question

Post by Jasmine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 pm

I'd like to ask something connected to the topic "change offices" in Istanbul. Is it possible to change Brazilian reais to Bulgarian leva and what is the rate? I tried to call and eventually ask in the buro but it seems the system is working another way..so I couldn't find a real person to talk to..is there another phone number on which I could ask the office if they are working with these currencies and what is their rate. Thanks :)