URGENT HELP NEEDED ABOUT IMPORTING

Questions, answers and general discussion about doing business with Turkish companies.

Moderator: sinan

Lauraj
How many stars? **: 0

URGENT HELP NEEDED ABOUT IMPORTING

Post by Lauraj » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 am

Hi dear TTP family,
I have an urgent and unusual problem.
I am part of an international art exhibition in Adana, Turkey which opens in early December.
One of the artists is from Chile and has sent her artwork by courier to Turkey.
The artwork has arrived in Istanbul and should be delivered in Adana Turkey on Wed. Nov 22.
The problem is this: Customs say that since it is marked as "commercial material" it needs to be released only to a commercial importing company. They also said customs would be 500 Euros.

My Adana friend (SAfa, who is Turkish) is frantic. He thinks he needs to open a customs company to receive the artwork. He is leaving tomorrow to go to an exhibition in MOrrocco and can't set up a company overnight! He is thinking that the artwork will need to be returned to Chile and miss the exhibition. (which is a real shame as I am sure it cost her hundreds of dollars to get it there).

So, I am telling the problem as I understand it and am hoping that someone is reading posts tonight and may be able to give me some ideas.

I can't help but feel that there would be someone who already has a importing company that could handle this transaction for Safa.

I suggested a Customs Broker, but he said he has already talked to them.

We would appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
Lauraj

aresoncharge

hi

Post by aresoncharge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:30 pm

dear laura.. things are not going on according to prosedures in turkey as u thought.. u should find a costom assist co. and pay some money to save that art material in the time u need. it will probably cost about 100-150 euros to take their services for this stuff.. i am sure they will solve your problem in less than 1 day.. here are some costom companies contact links( for istanbul).. i hope they will be useful for ya.. good luck
http://www.syk.com.tr/

http://www.ozdemirgumruk.com

http://www.arbagumruk.com
golden_kid

Lauraj

artwork

Post by Lauraj » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Thank you, Aresoncharge,
I have forwarded your information to my friend in Adana. Unfortunately, he has already left for Morocco. But I am hoping he has internet access there.

I have tried to research freight forwarder and Custom Broker names on the internet, and sent them to him, but he said it wasn't any help. I feel helpless from here, but feel the most I can do is get him information to try and solve this problem. I don't think I totally understand the problem, because I thought like you do: hire someone who is in the business and they'll take care of it. For some reason he thinks this idea won't work.

How frustrating.

It would be heart breaking if the artist from Chile spent much money to have it shipped there and they won't let it through.

May I ask another question? I am planning on going to Turkey next week with my paintings rolled up in my suitcase. Do you know of anything I need to do for customs to get it in and out of Turkey? Other artists say to not declare it since it is my work. Comments?

Thanks,
:Laura

aresoncharge

ok.. here i am

Post by aresoncharge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:59 pm

laura i don't think u will have some problems in customs with your own paintings.. but officers may ask for a certificate that proves they are your own paintings.. let's pray u won't come across to ignorant custom officers which ones do not try to understand ya. u know this country is in trouble with illegal art trade.. so the goverment is too careful about incoming and going art materials. it's better if u take an expertise report about the paintings which proves they are not historical stuffs and u carry them just for an exhibition.
golden_kid

Lauraj

art stuff

Post by Lauraj » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Thank you so much! I was wondering if I needed to get a certificate, that makes a lot of sense. Just in case. I think there is something called a Carnet of Origination and I'll see if I can get one (quickly).

Appreciate your knowledge very much. Thank you a million times over.
Laura

aresoncharge

Post by aresoncharge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:53 pm

you're welcome laura..
golden_kid