I need two restaurant recommendations, please!

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

steve
How many stars? **: 0

I need two restaurant recommendations, please!

Post by steve » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:54 am

Hello Turkey-travelling-chums – I need a favour! I’m going to Istanbul last week in July. I’m taking three very nervous people with me. I think that in the first instance they will be a bit overwhelmed and so I want to take them to a couple of comfortable places to eat. On the first night we will arrive early evening so I am looking for somewhere in Sultanahmet, preferably near Kapiagasi Sokak. Anything ‘classic’ with perhaps a good view would be excellent. I really don’t think they’ll cope too well with a busy or noisy district, or with any hassle or overcharging. As this’ll be their first experience of Turkey I don’t want to put them off at the first hurdle!

On the second night (and they are only really there for two nights) I hope that they’ll be a bit more settled. So, where for the second night? I was thinking Beyti, but as they will have seen very little of the city it seems a bit daft to drive away from the sights. I thought that food on a cruise could combine a memorable evening with a decent bit of sightseeing buy I don’t know much about this.

I know this enquiry sounds a bit odd, and it is! But they’re good friends, just a bit over-concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Zeynep

two restaurant recommendations

Post by Zeynep » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi,

What's their budget like?

On the second night, why don't you dazzle them with a fish restaurant on the Bosphorus? Not all of them are expensive, maybe we can ask others on the Forum to recommend some inexpensive fish restaurants on the Bosphorus..(I don't know of any offhand).

Also, for a lovely view of the Bosphorus from the hills, I can recommend Sunset Grill. It's a bit chi-chi, are they comfortable with that? It's very continental/European.

Neighborhoods like Beyoglu can be a bit noisy, as you know.

Zeynep

Two restaurant recommendations

Post by Zeynep » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 pm

Also just thought of something in Sultanahmet. I think it's called Sabahattin's and it's gotten to be quite famous. It is in the neigborhood called Cankurtaran, and it's close to the Four Seasons hotel. It is also a fish restaurant, i don't know if they want to do fish both night, they probably want to try kebabs...
Sabahattin's has outdoor seating and I don't think it's too noisy. It's very pleasant. Their bathrooms are spotless (at least 4 years ago, they were).

OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE
TTP Expert

Re: I need two restaurant recommendations, please!

Post by OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:21 pm

Dear Steve,

An ideal place for you for you for the first evening is Tarihi Sultanahmet Köftecisi Selim Usta (Divanyolu Cad. No. 12 Sultanahmet Tel: 0212 513 64 68 - 513 14 38) just overlooking the old hippodrome (Sultanahmet Square). Since it is next to the tram line and on the ground level it is a bit noisy and doesn't have a wonderful scenery. However, if you are lucky you will be able to find a table on the first floor. On top of everything it is only 5-10 minutes away from your hotel.

It is an İstanbul classic where locals eat regularly, and where Turkish and international visitors never miss to dine during their stay in İstanbul. Their menu is so simple and hasn't changed since their establishment for over half a century ago. They serve Köfte (meatballs), piyaz (bean salad), and helva. Depending on the season they also serve complimentary pickles and salad. You can definitely be sure that there will be no hassle or overcharging. There is only one problem. The place does not serve any alcoholic drinks.

On the second night, I would recommend Hamdi Et Lokantaları (Tahmis Cad. Kalçın Sok. No: 17 Eminönü İstanbul Tel : 0212 528 03 90) which is very close to Mısır Çarşısı (Spice Bazaar). It is also within walking distance to your hotel and you can taste the real Turkish kebab varieties there. Their terrace has a wonderful view of the Haliç (Golden Horn) and you are advised to make a reservation if it is a weekend and to secure a table with a good view. You can also taste the delicious mezes and Turkish wine in this restaurant.

Afiyet olsun. (Enjoy your meals)

With all good wishes
Selahattin Tümer

selahattintumer@yahoo.com

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:51 pm

This is excellent, thanks so much guys. I'm not off for a couple of weeks, so if anyone else has any ideas then do let me know!

Oh, budget is not a huge issue, but what's chi chi??

Zeynep

Restaurant recommendations

Post by Zeynep » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:36 pm

Hi,

Chi-chi means "fancy". Sunset is a beautiful restaurant up in the hills of the Bosphorus, you'll have a great view at night. Spanish music being piped in, continental food, nice atmosphere.

I also like the OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE's recommendation of the Sultanahmet Koftecisi. It is indeed a classic place where people in Istanbul have gone for years. Like TOUR GUIDE says, the menu is simple, but good. However, the restaurant is fast-paced and hectic, just beware. I think it's still a very good place to go and it's very reasonable. It's a family restaurant, maybe you can try it for lunch sometime, in between visits to the historical parts of Istanbul (it is centrally located).

Another wonderful restaurant is Pandelli, though I heard that in the last few years, the ownership has changed. I haven't been there for a while. It is located at the entrance of the Egyptian Bazaar (or Spice Bazaar), upstairs. You have to go up some steep stairs - are your guests elderly? Pandelli has a great menu of Ottoman classics, try their eggplant dishes and all the mezes.. But beware, the waiters try to bring everything, so only eat what you can.

MamaLuz

Pandeli

Post by MamaLuz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello and Merhaba to everyone,
I first went to Istanbul in 1988 (with Lonely Planet and here I am writing to Tom's (great) site!
I loved it but had never had the opportunity to return until this June when I went for 4 days, taking advantage that a friend of mine was going for business and I was able to stay with her in a 5 star hotel!
Most of the time I explored the city on my own, with one MEMORABLE lunch of a sandwich with kokoreç (sheep's intestines!!) and tea sitting at the tables near the book bazar in Beyazit.
The day she was free from business appointments, my friend wanted to go to Pandeli's however, so we did: although the place is beautiful from teh decoration point of view, I was very disappointed foodwise, at least as far as the meze are concerned which were very ordinary. Our main courses (we both had lamb and aubergine (eggplant) dishes) were good though. Service was OK but I felt that it was a bit of a tourist trap.
However, I was delighted to see it as a location in a film called "Tales of Istanbul" (not sure if that's the title in English because I saw it in Paris with a French title).
In a month (Christmas), I am going back to Istanbul with my husband for 10 days and CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Thanks for all the great info on the site

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Tue May 23, 2006 11:29 am

With two recommendations from OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE and Zeynep, the Tarihi Sultanahmet Köftecisi Selim Usta in Divan Yolu, in the centre of Touristland, sounds like a good place to sample some authentic cuisine.

I've walked past this place many times and seen lots of people packing into it, but have always been seduced by the colourful steam tray window displays of the Can or Baran 2 nearby. By the way, watch the waiters at Baran 2 when it comes to paying your bill - I managed to have almost 10 YTL knocked off ours on one occasion. But, as I said, this is Touristland and you need to move up a gear with the mental processes.

Thanks, the Sultanahmet Koftecisi is definitely on my list for our next visit to Istanbul!