Best cheap eats in Istanbul...

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

tand

Best cheap eats in Istanbul...

Post by tand » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:00 am

If you're a travelkler on a budget...do you have any hidden gems that's really good for travvelers on a budget.

Frankly I a have no idea on teh pricing in Istanbul...it seems it could tend to be very high(seafood restaurant) to pretty resonable(beyti)
But for teh cheap eats..any recommendations?

Al
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Al » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:32 am

I travel on the cheap, with a food budget of about $20 a day when in Turkey. Try this place, taken from a previous post. I enjoyed it.

"An ideal place for you for you for the first evening is Tarihi Sultanahmet Köftecisi Selim Usta (Divanyolu Cad. No. 12 Sultanahmet Tel: 0212 513 64 68 - 513 14 3 just overlooking the old hippodrome (Sultanahmet Square). Since it is next to the tram line and on the ground level it is a bit noisy and doesn't have a wonderful scenery. However, if you are lucky you will be able to find a table on the first floor. On top of everything it is only 5-10 minutes away from your hotel.

It is an İstanbul classic where locals eat regularly, and where Turkish and international visitors never miss to dine during their stay in İstanbul. Their menu is so simple and hasn't changed since their establishment for over half a century ago. They serve Köfte (meatballs), piyaz (bean salad), and helva. Depending on the season they also serve complimentary pickles and salad. You can definitely be sure that there will be no hassle or overcharging."

Also, you will often find what are called "Lokantas", basically restaurants with most of their food in steam trays up front, where you order a la cart. The cost is usually very reasonable and you get to see what you're ordering in advance.

Of course, there is always this:

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 pm

there is no cheap food in Istanbul.
cheap = bad and probably meat of an animal that you do not want to eat.
when in istanbul you can do two things:
spend money.
enter a place that has a line in front of it.

in taksim you can eat cheap at sirasalviler. (at the entrence of istiklal caddesi, all hose kebab bufe's "memis cafe" is my fav.)

other then that you chould be ready to bay for a good meal.

tand

Post by tand » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:15 am

Yikes...if possible will avoid eating at McDs.
If I indulge in fastfood .. it would be the local version I hope.

dorisinbaytown

McDonalds

Post by dorisinbaytown » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 am

Actually, our daughter had a meal at the McDonalds because she has been in the Republic of Georgia for two years and longed for a burger fix, so she had a McTurko, and it was good!

As for cheap food in Istanbul, it is hard to find. Get away from the touristy places and you can, though. The tiny streets between the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar actually contain some reasonable places.
dorisinbaytown

kjana

Re: Best cheap eats in Istanbul...

Post by kjana » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:18 am

[quote="tand"]If you're a travelkler on a budget...do you have any hidden gems that's really good for travvelers on a budget.

Frankly I a have no idea on teh pricing in Istanbul...it seems it could tend to be very high(seafood restaurant) to pretty resonable(beyti)
But for teh cheap eats..any recommendations?[/quote]

"Doy Doy" in Sultanahmet! Very good and cheap!

delridge
Location: Istanbul, Kadikoy, Moda, and then within Moda, usually at Moda Kup bakery

Post by delridge » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:10 pm

If you're really pushing the envelope on (low) priced eats, go for the "yarim ekmek doner (tavuk)", like you'll see them serving up at the ferry landing at Eminonu.

For 1 ytl you'll get yourself a half sandwich with some lettuce, tomato, and shavings from the chicken doner (the big cylinder of chicken/meat). Served up on a nice half-sheet of gray kraft paper.

When it comes to food mass per dollar (or lira), it's hard to beat the yarim ekmek doner!

Matt

Much2CnDeu

Good Inexpensive Restaurant - Sultanahmet

Post by Much2CnDeu » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:49 pm

I'd like to add another restaurant to my earlier recommendation.

ALBURA Restaurant in Sultanahmet has a wide choice of delicious entrees, soups, salads, and appetizers - at really good prices. You can order more expensive options if you like, as you'll have many options. There are several specials offered each night and a large menu of really delicious food. The food is wonderful and the staff are great!

Albura Restaurant
Yeni Akbiyik Caddessi No: 26
Sultanahmet ISTANBUL
90 212 517 90 31