3 nights...food itinary

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

tand

3 nights...food itinary

Post by tand » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi All,

Hope you can help me out.
I have now just 3 nights in Istanbul and want to maximise my foodie experience here.

I am staying at sirkeci.

These are restaurants I am putting on my agenda. 3/4 dinners, some lunches. Alas I cant fill my whole stay beforehand.

1)Beyti:Is this really teh best meat restaurant in Turkey?

2)Develi or Hamdi...two other Kebab/meat restaurant. Would like try at 1 of them.

3)Haci Baba/ HAci Abdullah...probably more a lunch destination when I come for a visit at Beyoglu.

4)Kanaat...regular turkish cuisine. 25 minutes by boat from eminonu to Uskudar.IS it good and is it easy reach.

5)Pandelli...lunch destination. IS this a touristtrap?

Anyway I'd appreciate if you can give me a price indication for these places.
Also maybe some other tips that I should consider.

I guess I have seperated between meat and regular restaurants.

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

FOODS?

Post by davcamp » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:12 pm

YOU HAVE TO TRY SULTANAHMET KOEFTA!!!
ITS JUST A FEW YARDS WALK FROM THE TRAM-STATION OF SAME NAME.
SUGGEST YOU ORDER 2 PORTIONS OF KOEFTA WITH SALAD AND PEPSI/COKE IN THE BOTTLE. BEST MEAL ON EARTH!!!

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Beyti is a good meat restaurant, not sure if it’s the best. It will certainly be a very different experience from the majority of eateries you will go to. Prices are quite reasonable I seem to remember our meal working out at about £20 a head but I’m sure we had an expensive bottle of wine for that too. It is a very splendid place, the décor is really quite different from anywhere else you’re likely to go and it certainly isn’t a tourist trap and is regularly packed with locals. It’s special – you should go!

rlbrod

Post by rlbrod » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:30 am

I have not been to Beyti but I have heard that its good.

I have been to Hamdi and it was really nice. If you want to go there and sit on the terrace then you should book in advance.

Out of both Haci restaurants- I thought both were nice, Haci baba is cheaper, but haci abdullah for me offered the more authentic experience- it doesn't serve alcohol though.

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 pm

We had our lunch at Kanaat on May 1st this year - I remember it was May Ist because the ferry from Eminonu to Kadikoy was closed, I think to prevent people going to Kadikoy for the Mayday demonstrations. There was also a noticeable police presence at Uskudar.

There seems to be massive building work going on at the square in Uskudar but if you stick to the left hand side and follow the street around you will come to Kanaat.

It's an unpretentious eating place, busy when we were there at lunch time, with very good food at reasonable prices.

I wanted to try their Eksili Kofte, which is something I regularly cook, but unfortunately demand had exceeded supply, so we settled for Circassian Chicken, Izmir Kofte, Taze Bakla and Artichoke in olive oil, washed down with ayran.

Their sweet section looked pretty tempting so I went for the Ekmek Kaydayfi Kaymakli (bread soaked in syrup and topped with thick cream) high cholesterol I would guess, but a lovely way to go, while the wife was attracted to the equally heart-stopping Kaymacina, a kind of Albanian creme brulee and a reminder of the Kanaat's ancestry. All of this cost us 37YTL , including a few liras tip for the very helpful and attentive waiter.

We will definitely be back for more on our next visit and also hope to cover most of the other places you have mentioned. Bon appetit Tand!

EDIT

Ooops! Sorry Tand! Just realised you've probably been and gone. Hope you enjoyed Kanaat if you went. If you didn't make it, then maybe next time you are in Istanbul you will try them out. Hopefully my post may also be of use to others.